Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion comparing smokers to buy

comparing smokers to buy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:21 pm

Well, after several days of catching a whole slew of comments and observations on the Char-griller's hinge assembly, I'm convinced the pin-deal is gonna be OK, although I do like the X-arrangment on Z's. Really appreciate the photos. I missed the Bobby Flay show and regret that - would have liked to see my (almost mine) grill turnin' out the meat.

Thanks guys for all the information. I think the Char-Griller is comin' home this weekend. And brisket's on sale..... and chicken's on sale...... and ribeyes are on sale.... and T-bones, well T-bones are never on sale, but that's OK.

Have a great 4th and keep the flames down and the smoke up. :D

Brisket Man
(still working on the license plate upload process)

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Brisket Man,
I’m glad you’ve decided on a smoker/grill, I know that you’re going to be happy with this unit. Congrates in advance and have fun with it. After all, that’s what it’s all about. If you need help in setting it up or cooking on, please let me know. Here is a link to some hints I posted about seasoning this unit: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... light=torn
Seasoning is a very important step and it will preserve your smoker and give you excellent results for years to come.
Good Luck!

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:04 pm

BBcue-Z, thanks for the link to the thread with your curing hints. Good idea to use aluminum foil to line the unit. Looks like it makes cleanup a snap.

Goalie

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:56 pm

Z, thanks for the link on seasoning. I've read it before and have it "linked" for quick find. My wife is a die-hard cast iron fan so I'm well aware fo the value of seasoning. Shame to waste (in a sense) all that time and effort firing it up with no meat. bummer. thanks again for all the great advice, tips and viewpoints.

Brisket Man

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:35 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Brisket Man....

Welcome to the Char-Griller family. You'll love it. I was on the fence when I bought mine... but now I totally love it and use it frequently.

I think BBcue-Z thought about starting a Char-Grillers owners section... I still totally for that.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:49 am

I could see a char-griller site.

Happy 4th to all ... And in the midst of all the fun and family stuff this weekend, take a moment and thank God you live in the greatest country there is.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:36 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Happy 4th you all :)
I’m sure your Char-Grillers will shine this weekend.
God Bless America

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:04 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Hey BBcue-Z:

I read your thread about seasoning the Char-griller. Do you still use the aluminum foil even after you have the smoker/grill seasoned? Is this strictly for clean-up purposes or is there another reason for using the foil?

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:43 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yes, I always have the lower part of the grill lined up with foil. This serves 2 purposes, easy of cleaning, and distributing/ reflecting temperature more evenly during smoking.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:37 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

I've had my CG for a few weeks. Z, my hinges are just like yours. My lid on the left side, from back to front, is even with the bottom part. The right side of the lid, sticks out about an inch. (Fire box side) Does your lid do this? I looked at my brackets & had the BL & BR brackets on the wrong side. I switched them thinking that's why the lid was uneven. It didn't change. It's no biggie. I was just wondering if your's did that. I thought about putting washers, between brackets & grill, on the left side to try to even it out.

Thanks & HCG (Happy chargrillin)
CGwSFB
Coleman 3300 gasser

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

jm42fan,
This can be fixed by a simple adjustment. Here is how it’s done:
There are two pins (one on each side) that join the 2 X’s together; these pins are fastened in place by two clips. Take both clips off, but leave the pins in place. Now slid the lid towards the side that is sticking (left to right). You may have to pull the pin on the side that is sticking out just a little. Try the lid and see if it’s aligned correctly. If it is, push the pin on the side opposite of the sticking side in until it can’t go no farther, and then push the clips to secure the pins.
Let me know if you have any questions or if this does not correct the problem.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:30 pm
aflevine rare
rare

After reading various threads on this board, I just purchased a Char-Griller SuperPro at Lowe's. While the floor model had the X hinge pictured above, I was surprised to see the hinge pins that the thread initiator spoke of. While I'm sure they'll work fine, they're clearly not as sturdy. Also, it appears that they're using 16 guage steel for the shell. Given that this grill cost $119, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. I suspect that it will work fine for years. Should I be at all concerned that the steel is not more substantial? The best grills discussed here have metal that's 1/4" or more thick. The price for that quality though is in excess of $400. I'm trying to understand whether what I bought is a quality product. Thoughts?

Adam :?
Last edited by aflevine on Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Aflevine,
I bought my grill (picture above) almost a year ago and I love it. It was my first experience with an offset smoker. I still get tickled every time I fire up this unit. It’s so versatile. You can grill, smoke and do just about anything on it. Please keep in mind that this is a starter unit. And you don’t have to take out a loan to buy it. It’s a great beginner smoker/grill. The low and slow cooking on this unit is a piece of cake. It’s practically pre-tuned to maintain 225 temp.
As far as the differences between the new and the old model, I really couldn’t tell, because I have not seen any of the new units yet. I guess I need to make a trip to Lowe’s to check them out. I can tell you about mine though. I’ve never owned a grill that maintained the temp as this one. And I’ve had few in my life times to include big brand names. And I’m only speaking of the grill function of this unit and not the smoker function (since this is my first offset smoker). Just to give you an idea, one chimney worth of charcoal placed in the main chamber (when using this unit as grill) would maintain a temp of 350° for at least 2 hours or more (depending on the external temp).
I hope this gives you some insight.
Good luck and please let us know if you need any help with your new unit.

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:58 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm a heavy duty, go big kind of guy. But most of you already knew that. I own this unit. I like it for the reasons that Z states plus it all comes down to the price as well. At that price how can you NOT get one. If it wears out after a few years (which it shouldn't) then you just buy another one. Kinda like low end grills, they're almost meant to be disposable. But my sense is through care this particular unit will keep chugging on for years no problem.
I'm anxious to see it through a PA winter. That'll be the true test.

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:52 am
aflevine rare
rare

Z,

Thank you for yor great advice on the Char-Griller and especially your detailed instructions on how to initially season this unit. It took me five hours yesterday, but it's now ready. The inside is now as black as you said it should be with the wonderful smell of mesquite and hickory.

In your seasoning instructions, you mentioned that you place two pans of water somewhere on the grill when you're smoking. May I ask where or does it matter?

Thx and best regards ... Adam :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion