Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UP Chuck

UP Chuck

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Posts: 25
Location: Maple Ridge Canada
Well I got into this BBQ thing deep when I judged the Canadian National BBQ Championship in Whistler. It was a hoot. Since then I have jumped into the deep end to say that least. Many hours are spent mulling over recipes and this awesome website. I have bought most of Steve's books and dog eared the recipes in the book that I want to attack. The next thing that I did was run out and by a side of beef to pick and coose "interesting" cuts to experiment with. I had no problems until I got to the chuck portion of the cow. This area, as most of you know, is the shoulder area of the cow and is excercised the most. There are cuts of meat in this area that are sought after by many like the Brisket, Flatiron etc. There are other cuts that are just plain tough. They seem to have all of the necessary components of good BBQ like marbling but when I tried a chuck roast it was tough to say the least. I brought the inner temp to 160F. The meat was done to perfection visually with a med rare inner and a wellish done outer.

I know that Chuck is not the meat of choice but I have a few more roasts and steaks to deal with and any input would be great.

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:32 pm
Mr Dee Dee medium
medium

Posts: 179
Location: Muskego, WI
I have done a couple of chuck roasts as pulled beef, they turned out great. The biggest thing that jumps out at me about your experience is the internal temp. I went to 195°. They took about 9 hrs but they pulled apart like the pork does. They also made for some very good sandwiches!! From what they say on the board here is that you need higher temps to break down the connective tissues(toughness) so that would be my advise...chamber temps 225° and internal temp 195° and you should see a big difference.
Mr. Dee Dee is my user name :P
but you can call me Ed
Weber One touch Gold 22.5" and 26.75"
CG w/SFB
WSM 22.5"

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:47 pm
nascarchuck well done
well done

Posts: 482
Location: Benbrook, Texas

BBQ'D Badger wrote:
I know that Chuck is not the meat of choice


Thats not what my wife tells me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:03 pm
outagas well done
well done

Posts: 1081
Location: Pewaukee, WI

Post deleted.
Last edited by outagas on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 pm
copkid well done
well done

Posts: 1717
Location: Indiana
outagas wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
BBQ'D Badger wrote:
I know that Chuck is not the meat of choice


Thats not what my wife tells me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did someone say upchuck? Image


That's a black flag for you.



Thanks Outagas! I owe you one! I was wiping off beads of sweat trying not to respond to that one! :P
Laura

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:51 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Please, let's please get back on topic, please!!! :lol:

BBQ'D Badger do the following search on the forum and you'll get a lot of good advice:

Search for Keywords: chuck

Search for Author: Phillyjazz
Image

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:45 pm
copkid well done
well done

Posts: 1717
Location: Indiana
Sorry Bob. :cry:
Laura

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:52 pm
nascarchuck well done
well done

Posts: 482
Location: Benbrook, Texas

copkid wrote:
outagas wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
BBQ'D Badger wrote:
I know that Chuck is not the meat of choice


Thats not what my wife tells me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did someone say upchuck? Image


That's a black flag for you.



Thanks Outagas! I owe you one! I was wiping off beads of sweat trying not to respond to that one! :P
Laura



Hey! Watch it woman!!! :lol:

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Posts: 25
Location: Maple Ridge Canada
Mr Dee Dee wrote:
I have done a couple of chuck roasts as pulled beef, they turned out great. The biggest thing that jumps out at me about your experience is the internal temp. I went to 195°. They took about 9 hrs but they pulled apart like the pork does. They also made for some very good sandwiches!! From what they say on the board here is that you need higher temps to break down the connective tissues(toughness) so that would be my advise...chamber temps 225° and internal temp 195° and you should see a big difference.


Thanks Mr Dee Dee. I think that this is where I goofed. I didn't go low and slow as long. A little more patience with this and I will produce a nice meal from a tough cut.

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:11 pm

Posts: 25
Location: Maple Ridge Canada
Bob-BQN wrote:
Please, let's please get back on topic, please!!! :lol:

BBQ'D Badger do the following search on the forum and you'll get a lot of good advice:

Search for Keywords: chuck

Search for Author: Phillyjazz


Thanks for the tip Bob-BQN. I will look around to see what I can find.


Return to General Discussion

cron