Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What do you use to seal the neck of a Beer Can Chicken?

What do you use to seal the neck of a Beer Can Chicken?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Rifter well done
well done

Ok, it seems that the BCC is pretty popular. I see a lot of people say Potato, Onion, or Lemon. Does anyone else use anything else? I was at the supermarket the other day with my wife (I don't get there often, since she works there), and I thought the possibility of a kielbasa in there, or possibly draping several pieces of bacon over the opening, and under the skin. Would there be any problems with this? Also, I love garlic, so I have thought about putting a whole clove of garlic up there, put olicve oil all over it, and cook the chicken WHILE making roasted garlic. Any other ideas out there?
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:51 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Kevin you are so right about the popularity of the BCC, full of flavor, moist and tender chicken. Best thing going for those of us that don't have a rotisserie.

If you haven't done one before then you must know that plugging the neck cavity is purely optional. I believe only a few have plugged the neck to my knowledge. I've heard of the potato, onion, and lemon before, but I'll say you've come up with some pretty interesting ideas of your own that I think will work too. The bacon sounds good to me, as mentioned in other post where bacon is applied to lean meats, you'll have to watch it so it doesn't burn. But I'll bet it would do some yummy things to the chicken.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I use an oinion wedge or lemon wedge usually. If you use bacon, try rubbing some pork fat under the chicken skin :wink:

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:43 pm

I really like the idea of the roasted garlic. You could put it in some mashed potatoes to serve with the chicken, or add it to a chicken gravey made with stock from the neck and "innards".

blackdog870

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:29 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Oh man! Have to add my enthusiastic applause to the roasted garlic smashed potatoes idea. You geniuses just made my menu for one afternoon this July 4 holiday.

Many thanks as always!

Chicago SP

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:10 am
Vinsect well done
well done

The great thing about onions is that you can peel off layers until you get it just the right size to shove down the neck and get a tight fit.
Also, who's to say you can only shove one thing down the neck. Why not a garlick clove followed by an onion? or a wedge of lemon, a garlic clove and an onion?
Maybe a jalepeno too?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:24 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now I've got to ask, because I don't know the answer myself...is this safe?
Now I'm not talking in the exploding brid sense but in the little, make you very ill nasties, that live inside uncooked birds sense. My gut tells me no. Reason being the same logic as to why you never stuff a bird you put on the smoker. The internal temperature stays in the "danger" zone to long to effectively kill all those bugs. I've always been told to never eat what you stuff in the bird on a grill or smoker for that reason. Now I'm not sure if thats 100% true but it has always made sense to me. I still stuff the cavity with that type of combination of onion garlic and herbs but they are for flavoring only, not eating.
Does anyone know any better?

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

One way to be sure about the safety of the food is through it's temperature. If the bird is cooked to an internal temp of 170*, like I'm thinking most of us are doing, then it is safe to eat, inside and out. As long as the items placed into the cavity reach the "safety zone" the nasties should be dead. The problem with a turkey is sheer mass. If you stuff a turkey, by the time the stuffing reaches a safe temperature the bird would be overcooked and dry. I don't think a BCC would have the overcooked-dry problem because of the moisture in the can and the smaller mass of the bird. As long as you don't pack the cavity to capacity and ensure the internal ingredients reach a "safe" temperature, I hypothesize that it would be alright to eat.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:57 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I thought that too Bob but I remember someone somewhere saying something about "staying in the danger zone too long". It juststicks in my mind.
I just really don't know.

This is the longest I've seen any thread go without a difinitive answer.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:55 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

This is an interesting question. The idea of sticking a garlic head or lemon in the neck is intriguing. I guess I will agree with Bob that given the size of a chicken there is no real danger. In another post tonight, I noted that it took 2 hours for two chickens on a rotisserie over Kingsford charcoal. Neither my wife, sister, her husband, nor I suffered from eating those delicious birds, and they must have been in the “danger zone” for quite a while. And, all of us have probably smoked a chicken where it takes several hours at around 225 to bring it to 175 on the inside. A couple of BCCs are on the menu this weekend, and head of garlic stuffed in the neck sounds great. Then smash it over the meat. If I post a result come Tuesday, we will know it worked.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:33 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Well, to test out my theories, I have some friends coming over tomorrow, and I am going to cook the 3 styles I mentioned in my first post. I should have something for you on Friday. :-) My wife bought the bacon and Sausage today. :-) I am practicing for the huge 100 person reunion coming up at the end of next month.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:00 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good luck Roff I hope it works, for your sake and ours. Plus like I said it really is a great idea, as long as its healthy.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:42 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Ok, here is how it worked out.

The one with bacon, tasted good... but the bacon did not cook as well as I would have liked... I think next time, I would move it a bit closer to heat... and I like the idea of putting the bacon ALL under the skin... it was really that good.

The Garlic, I had planned to put upright, but it didn't work too well. So, I turned it upside down, and it fit great. The chicken tasted very good, that way.

The one with the Kielbasa was ok. Probably the one I won't do again. It looked good with the sausage sticking out, and in all honesty, the sausage tasted great... but it didn't add a lot of flavor to the meat (which is what I was hoping for) If you want chicken, with a bit of sausage on the side, though, this is THE way to do it.)

I tasted the meat up around the neck, figuring that is where the most taste would go. All three turned out well, and I learned more about my grilll

These chicken were from Albertsons, and had an OVER abundance of skin around the neck, so with the bacon and the garlic, I got them put in, then used skewers to pin the skin closed, above them. (couldn't find the dang toothpics). For the Kielbasa, I used 2 skewers at right angles, and pinned the skin around the sausage, to seal the top end. I didn't seal the top, on the first 3 birds I ever did. I REALLY think that covering that hole helps a LOT, for the tenderness and moisture of the meat.

I have to take out the warming tray, to fit them in, properly. My wood-box just shipped today, so I should have that soon, to really do this right, next time! :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Next

Return to General Discussion