Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smokey BBQ ribs

smokey BBQ ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:04 am
pderico rare
rare

I would like to try to make some BBQ ribs (country style, reg., or beef... not sure yet which) and like some input if possible. I have a Brinkmann 3 burner gas grill. I have bought a cast iron smoker box and would like to incorperate that into the "mix". I know I have to do indirect heat for good amount of time. Should the smoker box be on the hottest burner? I am also thinking of using rub and the mopping the ribs at the end. Can anyone give me any more ideas, suggestions, direction?

Thanks gang!
- Phil
Chillin' and a grillin'!

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow what a question! Ribs are right up there with the most popular item, and one of my favorites as well. I will tell you that if you do a search you'll find many many posts here that will ansewr every question you could ever think of. But to quickly give you some ideas:
You're right on the indirect cooking.
4 hours is a good start, @ 225-250 when the meat pulls about 1/4" down the bone and they start to seperate by lightly pulling.
NEVER boil.
Remove the membrane from underneath.
Use your smoker over the burner on high until the smoke starts, then back to low just to keep it going.
Some guys like dry - rub only
Some guys like wet - sauce only
Some guys like both (myself included)
They type of rib is the same choice. Some are bigger, some are fattier, I prefer babybacks myself.
For a rub and sauce idea go to the recipe section and try the Basic Rub and the Dr. Pepper Sauce.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

To add to what G.S. mentioned:

Some use, as Paul Kirk calls the "Texas Crutch", foil the last hour along with some BBQ sauce. This will bake the ribs and make them very tender. Caution: Too long in the foil and the rib meat will fall apart and not have much "chew" to it.

I will spray the ribs with apple juice or cider while cooking every 30 mins as well.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:41 am
pderico rare
rare

Thanks guys. I have heard and read about the apple juice spray and will do that. As far as the "Texas Crutch"... many years ago when I use to BBQ with charcoal, I did that most of the way, took them out to baste with sauce at the end and it worked good. Just now getting back into BBQ and grilling but with gas. Thanks again for the input.
- Phil
Chillin' and a grillin'!

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:58 am
Grillzilla rare
rare

One tip I read on this site that works for me is to use one or two match light charcoal briquets in the smoker box. Once they are hot and grey sprinkle some soaked wood chips on them.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Return to General Discussion