Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Installing side smoker box on a Char-Griller?

Installing side smoker box on a Char-Griller?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
USMCGrunt raw
raw

While I'm waiting for my side smoekr box to come in, I may as well get a heads up on what has to be done to mount it. I'm thinking that there's going to be flanges on the smoker box that should mate up with some of the bolt holes on the side of the char-grill, correct? Now from what I've been able to gather here is that these holes on the char-griller are also undersized and have to be drilled out a little?
Now on to the plate with the damper vent. From what I am hearing, I'm going to have to take that entire plate and damper out or else my smoke won't be hot enough. What about the smoker box? Is there a damper vent on it someplace as well? Also, if I'm guessing right that the vent plate has to come out, what did you do to get it off? I'm thinking a hammer and chisel on the welds would be the fastest way but I'm also thinking about using a dremel to cut the welds a little more neatly. What's worked best for you? One more question, how clear are the instructions that come with the smoker box? Are they pretty straight foreward or are your sort of left to wing it on your own? Thanks for any information on this upcoming project. :)

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:31 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

USMCGrunt,
Welcome to the board. Yes, the smoker box has a damper vent on it with a wheel cover (similar to the one on the Weber lid). And you guessed right, you will have to remove the plate and the vent cover from the main body of the grill. The holes were wide enough once I removed the little punched cover on them. I think the drilling just makes them easier to remove. I used a hammer and a chisel to remove mine. They came out real easy.
Check this link for more info on installation and use:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467
This link is pointing to the Char-Griller family. You’ll find a lot of Q & A. Please let us know how it turns out.
Good Luck!

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Grunt- Just follow the directions carefully (I know its not a macho thing to do but still) and you'll be fine. A center punch or an old phillips head screwdriver and a heavy hammer and the ability to put a little force behind it and you'll be fine. It really does go together easy and logically. Don't worry, you'll be smoking in no time!.

Next up...seasoning. Look to Z's post on that too.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:09 am
Rifter well done
well done

I still say use a drill. I had some real problems with one of the screw holes. And I tried EVERYTHING to open that one hole. After I finally pulled the drill out, there wasn't a real need to put it back, and continue pounding out the last 2 holes. :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm
Smokin' rare
rare

I had a real issue with one of the punch out holes. Unfortunately both of my drills batteries were dead so I used a pair of vise grip pliers to hold the tab as it had bent inward from me trying to break the punchout loose. I then used a small steel headed mallet and a nail and with quite a few blows I finally got the thing loose. One thing I love about the CG design is that it is made to withstand a lot of force.
Happy Grilling,
Smokin'

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:20 pm
Bassmasa rare
rare

I agree 100% to drill the holes first. After reading several horror stories about bending the chamber's metal when using only a hammer, screwdriver, and pliers, I drilled all 6 holes first. 2 of the welds popped right off immediately after drilling, 3 others came loose with minimal effort. Only one weld was a little difficult, but a few back and forth motions with some pliers and the entire piece came out clean. The entire process of installing the SFB took about 30 minutes and I am not a handy man by any means.

As for the instructions, they're about as good as the CG itself. Some of the steps have to be read through a couple of times, but they're not too bad. The pictures are awful, though, and could make the process much easier if they were clearer.

Be sure that your ash tray lines up nicely with the main body of the SFB. Mine was pretty skewed, but I was able to bend it into a perfect fit. Enjoy!

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:48 pm
copkid well done
well done

The smoker box is a cinch to install compared the the CG itself! :lol:
Drilling the holes will be easier. I didn't, because I couldn't find my drill at the time and I was too impatient to wait.

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Welcome Grunt....

IF you have any mechanic ability at all... it will be a cinch... It really isn't hard at all. Just follow the directions, and you will have it together in no time. I have done maintenance work now for over 30 yrs.... so it was almost a walk in the park for me. I found a nice flat metal chisel worked great for knocking the side knockout piece out. Just stand it on it's end with the panel up, and hammer away. It will start to come out real soon, and take the chisel and know the stamped holding tabs, and whalla.... it's gone....

Just take your time, put it together, but do not tighten the bolts completely at first. After it is all together, then tighten it up good and snug. That way, it will stand more square and even and you will be able to move it any if needed.....

Bill

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:46 pm
Paul03 medium-rare
medium-rare

Really is a snap. But manufacturing variations can cause some probs. Like you may have to drill instead of punch. And don't bloody your knuckles like I did with the hammer/chisle!
Life's too short to drink bad beer.

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:30 pm
YouRang raw
raw

I just installed my SFB and I drilled the holes out first and then used my dremel w/ a disc and ground the spot welds out first and then all along the lip of the cut out. I tapped the piece out w/ a small hammer and voilà the SFB was ready to install!

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board YouRang! :D

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 pm
YouRang raw
raw

Thanks Bob. I was a lurker and then found this site when I was researching the Char Griller Duo. The info on this site made my decision much easier. Lots of great stuff on here!

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 am
smokeyjoe medium-well
medium-well

Rifter wrote:
I still say use a drill. I had some real problems with one of the screw holes. And I tried EVERYTHING to open that one hole. After I finally pulled the drill out, there wasn't a real need to put it back, and continue pounding out the last 2 holes. :-)

Ditto. The spot welds are not too large, but they are best drilled out. This will prevent you from bending the side of the grill and will give you a tighter seal between the grill and the SFB. Good luck!
If you're lookin' it aint cookin'

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey guys, first post here, but I have been lurking for a bit.

Anyway, I was working on assembling my early Char Griller Father's day gift and ran into a snag. The damper plate on the firebox came out easily. The Grill, on the other hand is a different story. I tried a couple of times to knock out the holes with a screwdriver before giving up and drilling them out. The spot welds are still giving me fits. I popped three loose then got to work on the fourth before I noticed the side of the grill starting to bend.

I was starting to get frustrated so, knowing how I get I just packed everything up and put it in the garage for another day before I really screwed it up. It's not bent too badly. When I go back to work on it I will cut the welds with a Dremmel. But I was wondering if the best way to try and knock the bottom half of the grill flat again. I was thinking setting it on some cardboard on the driveway and going at it with a rubber mallet. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:44 am
olewarthog well done
well done

That should work. My MC also bent some when taking out the football. I just used a large pair of channel lock pliers to bend it back out. When I attached the SFB, it also helped pull the bent part back out.
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Char Broil 3 burner gasser
ECB

Next

Return to General Discussion