Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion wood chunks instead of coal?

wood chunks instead of coal?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:56 pm
McSherry rare
rare

Gang-
The brand of charcoal thread reminded me that I saw a bag of weber wood chunks at home depot last weekend. It claimed to be a substitute for coal - even said to light it in the chimney just like charcoal. :?:

Does anyone have experience with these chunks as a charcoalk replacement? I was thinking it might produce a better smoke...any insights?
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:05 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There are 4 main ways to cook. In no particular order:
1. Gas (Natural or Propane)
2. Charcoal
3. Lump Charcoal (which is hardwood that has been pre-burned)
4. Wood

Any can be used for cooking, depending on the types of heat and smoke and heat maintenance that you want.

Gas is very steady heat but no smoke unless you use a smoker box or pouch. Gas is very easy to use and very convienent.

Charcoal is an American classic. It takes a bit more attending than gas but also provide more smoke. Can still be used with wood for increased smoke. There are binders and fillers in there.

Lump is just like charcoal but is a purer form, since it is pure wood it produces even more smoke. Yet is still often use with Wood to make even more smoke. Burns hotter than Charcoal but not as long. Purists love this stuff.

Straingt hardwood. This is where it all began, so absolutely it can still be used today. The trick with hardwood is maintaining the desired temperatures. This provides the most smoke. DUH!

What you use is up to you and what you're cooking. When I use my offset firebox so far I've been using a lump base and hardwood from there on out. For longer smokes 4+ most people use a combination of lump, charcoal and wood. Charcoal for steady longeviety, lump for heat and continuous flavor and wood to boost the flavor.

So to answer your question, yes, you can use wood.

Remeber, there is NO wrong way to Q.
As long as you like what you produce you're all set.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Return to General Discussion