Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Where do I buy wood chips?

Where do I buy wood chips?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:06 am

I'm a new griller, and this may sound like s tupid question, but I can't find wood chips for smoking. I was wondering what type of places I should look to find some. Any help would be great.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:39 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I usually buy mine at an outdoor store such as Cabella's or Gander Mountain. If you have one locally you're all set. If not try your local Wal-Mart or wherever grills are sold. If all else fails head online, you should have no problems.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:20 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Most of the large home improvement stores (Lowes & Home Depot) will carry wood chips in their grilling section - at least during the summer season. Here is a link to a wevsite that sells some as well

http://www.grilllovers.com/shopSearchRe ... CD30SBACTE

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:22 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
I'm a new griller, and this may sound like s tupid question, but I can't find wood chips for smoking. I was wondering what type of places I should look to find some. Any help would be great.

The local Wal-mart had them a while back. A small bag of Hickory Chips called Ozark Wood, sold for under $2.00. They are packaged by Ozark Wood International, Inc. Chances are that at this time of season they may be cleared out.

Pete

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:52 am
Longmill

With the grilling season coming to a close for many, most retailers are reducing their inventory to make way for holiday merchandise. So it may take a little more looking.

That said, there are a number of places to find the chips and chunks, too. The garden department in Wal-Mart usually has them. Our local Food Lion keeps a small supply on hand along with their Kingsford stock. I've found them at Lowes and Home Depot. If your local hardware store sells grills and charcoal, they may also stock the chips.

As you do routine shopping, explore the nooks and crannies that you may not normally visit in your local stores. If you can't find any locally, there are suppliers on the Internet. Freight may not be too expensive for small amounts of chips.

In closing, if your circumstances permit, consider collecting your own smoking wood. Even in the city, landscapers and such will often prune trees. Small branches don't take long to season. Or, perhaps you can buy a bundle of oak fireplace wood. Split it yourself into smaller pieces to use on your grill.

Hope this helps get you started.

Longmill

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:24 pm
BigBadMN

Hi there -

To my knowledge, Home Depot carries wood chips pretty much year round. Their inventory is reduced substantially during the grilling offseason. But my local Home Depots have still had a few bags in stock throughout the year to satiate those of us who do winter grilling.

Happy Hunting
Big Bad

Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:31 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

Anonymous wrote:

Hi, there,

Something you may consider is the smoking pellets offered by the Barbecue Store. It is pellets of wood that you put in a foil pack and plase on the coals or over the burner. They have 10 varieties, including cherry, apple, and pecan. individual bags oare $5.95, or you can buy a case of 12 baqs (mixed as you wish) for only $59,95. Each case can smoke 1,100 lbs of product, as you use 1/3 cup of pellets per load, and it smokes for 45 to 60 minutes. I am orderin a case with all 10 varieties, and duplicates of mesquite and Jack Daniels whiskey wood.

Good luck and good grilling.

Starpacker

Return to General Discussion