Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buy a Smoker?

Buy a Smoker?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:35 pm
scott rare
rare

I have a Viking 30" great for grilling; handles low heat well. But vent in hood is large; burner box was deepened in later model--I'm wondering if I can do better for bbq. I think my brisket and shoulder turned out better in my old Ducane.

I'm thinking of getting a smoker, strictly for bbq.
Will I see significantly better results?
Which one should I get? (considerations: quality, price, aesthetics--already have a large grill on the patio and don't want to put something large and ugly out there, although it needs to be big enough for large cuts.)

Advice?

Thanks,
Scott

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:15 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Scott,
Welcome to the board. You’ll find all the info you need to start smoking on this board. Check out the discussion under this thread: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... light=torn
It may help you to make a decision.
Good luck and please share your experience with all of us.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:12 pm
scott rare
rare

Thanks.
I learned from the thread that if I am going to get a smoker try to get one that is at least 1/4".

I am looking to supplement (not replace, so the Char -Griller could be overkill) the Viking with a smoker IF I can expect real improvement in BBQ with it versus BBQ on the Viking. price $200+/- - ---so I may be in the under a 1/4" smoker category at that price.

Aside from the basic gas vs. charcoal argument, is it worth it and what should "it" be?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Scott

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:03 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Scott,
Have you considered a vertical water smoker? They’re good for starting out or as a supplement. Weber has an excellent water smoker here is a link:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html
I assume your Viking is a gas grill? If you use a charcoal smoker, you will have big improvements over a gas grill. Not that gas grills are incapable of producing good results. It’s just that low and slow cooking with a smoker is entirely a different world.
I hope I answered your questions.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:41 pm
scott rare
rare

Yes, thanks. I thought it might be something to look into.

Scott

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:05 pm
scott rare
rare

BBQ-Z thanks for the consult.

Right after your email, I went out and bought the weber smoker, I made brisket today and got great results. Tender, moist, great flavor. Pretty easy too -- I probably fussed a bit too much over getting it to maintain a good temp --I hadn't used charcoal/vents before.

For my needs m the bullet was a great choice--- thanks.

Scott

Return to General Discussion