Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling with Banana Leaves

Grilling with Banana Leaves

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:17 am
hebmeister rare
rare

I don't remember where, but I saw some cooking show where you wrap fish fillets in banana leaves and toss them on the grill (naturally seasoning beforehand). Where do you get them??? Local supermarket didn't have them, neither did the Oriental-owned farmers' market. If I can't find them locally (central NJ), any suggestions on substitutions?

Thanks in advance.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:22 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I would try a Caribbean or Latino market. These are much more likely to carry banana leaves than an Asian market since they are grown in the tropics.

Time to hit the Yellow Pages.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Not knowing where you are in central NJ I can only offer these two suggestions. Try gourmet food stores like the one in Liberty Village in Flemington or possibly a market such as Verduci's.
And as YB said check the phone book for markets that specialize in Carribean and Latino/Mexican foods.

Good Luck.

RichD

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:55 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Just my personal preference but I have found myself not to care for this method so much although it does have a lot of flair and presentation appeal. Now I do understand some things absolutely benefit but overall I liken it to the grilled corn debate between husks on or husks off. For me, I've done it both ways but have found that husks on isn't much different from steaming my corn which doesn't have nearly the flavorful benefit of exposing the food to the fire IMHO. Some substitutes you can use for banana leaves would be tinfoil or i the case of 'heat tents' just plain old cardboard. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on banana leaves. If you decide to wrap your fish in them, I'm sure they'll look fabulous.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:13 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Straight up Airfoils. Haven't done corn in the husk since the first time I made them without.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:35 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I agree with YB, I’ve gotten banana leaves at Latin stores before. But I really don’t care for this method as much (as Airfoil stated). For one thing, the fish don’t get as much of the grill flavor as I like. I found dehydrated cornhusks work much better. You don’t have to fully incase the fish, so the get more exposure to the grill environment and get some smoke flavor. Also when the husks get charred, they give the fish a real nice smoke flavor as well. Here is a link to the recipe and the thread on this subject:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... sh+blanket

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:20 pm

spfranz wrote:
Straight up Airfoils. Haven't done corn in the husk since the first time I made them without.

Scott

I agree also, grilling corn directly on the grate gives it an extra depth of flavor.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:05 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

oops that was me above.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Return to General Discussion