Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Non-smoker question

Non-smoker question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:53 pm
JotaDe raw
raw

I don't/can't smoke w/my simple gas grill (unless I try the tinfoil/woodchip idea).
So when I see cooking techniques in here that indicate "smoking" (which there are many) can I typically just replace the "smoking" with "indirect grilling" or something and still be able to make the same foods - albeit they won't be smoked obviously?

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:32 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You're right on!
In the purest sense, yes I know theres much more to it but for the questions at hand, Smoking is simply indirect cooking at very low temperatures with the addition of smoke for flavor. Therefore to follow a smoking recipe on you gasser, you're right, indirect is the way to go. Just make sure your temps match. Some gas grills, particularly the less expensive ones have difficulty holding low temps. On gas, if you want the flavor in your food of smoked, you must add wood, whereas some guys use their smokers just with lump and very little wood. So give it a shot, make yourself a foil wood pouch, add a drip/water pan (helps maintain temp and eliminate flareups) and get er' low and cook er' slow.

Good Luck.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:51 pm
JotaDe raw
raw

Awesome, thanks Grand Scale.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:37 pm

I only got into using a smoker a few years ago, but before that I did a lot of smoking on the gas grill. Using a smoker pouch doesn't give you as much smoke flavor, but it's definitely noticeable. Yoou should have no problem indirect grilling your meat with a smoker pouch made from tinfoil.

That being said, there is one trick you really need to do to get the most out of your smoker pouch. You need to turn one burner up to high and heat up the smoker pouch until it really starts smoking first, and then turn the burner back down to whatever setting you normally keep it at. This step really heats up the wood chips so they keep burning a long while. Without this step the smoke doesn't last for very long, as the wood chips don't actually form enough coals to keep themselves burning.

If you're cooking for a long time (4+ hours) you will need to do this every few hours with a fresh smoker pouch each time. It only takes a few minutes to do this step, so the cooking temperature stays fairly even. The heat lost when you open the lid is replaced by the excess heat you use to heat up the smoker pouch.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:44 pm
JotaDe raw
raw

Thanks for the info Guest.

Return to General Discussion