Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Too much salt??

Too much salt??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:42 pm

My first use of the all purpose BBQ rub was strictly to the published prescription - outcome was a bit salty using the course kosher form. Recommend easy on the salt first round and then modify to taste with experience.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:39 am
egkor rare
rare

Hi Levi,

What did you cook that came out salty?

-egkor

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:43 pm

egkor - sorry I didn't mention it in my first post - too cryptic a message on my part. I used the rub on pork baby back bibs and refrigerated for 4 hours before smoking.
Thanks for keeping me honest.

Levi

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:06 pm
BigBad raw
raw

Hi Levi -

I think some other folks had problems with the rub recipe posted on the site. Looks like there was a typo in the recipe calling for 1 cup of coarse salt when it should have been 1/2 cup. The site administrator posted a response on another thread stating the recipe has been corrected on the site.

Hope that helps,
Big Bad

Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:25 am
Longmill

In addition to the excellent advice already given, carefully watch your meat purchases. Read all those little labels to make sure you don't have meat that's already been injected with a salt water solution. If you do buy something that has been "flavor enhanced", cut down or omit all together the salt in your rub. Those labels should carry the percent of added ingredients. The higher the percent, the lower the salt should be in your rub.

FWIW, it's getting harder and harder to find plan old unaldurated food these days. We're on a salt restricted diet. It's getting to the point that I have to read the labels on EVERYTHING. (sigh)

Longmill

Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:51 am

i did not find the rub to be too salty. just enough salt to wake the flavor in the meat up!
eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we'll die

Return to General Discussion