Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Picnic Cut Pork Shoulder (bone in)

Picnic Cut Pork Shoulder (bone in)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:51 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I smoked a 8lb pork shoulder this weekend and it turned out great. I had some questions on carving it. Are there any methods like there is with a turkey or do you just cut away all the meat? Thanks for any advice you can give me
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:10 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I would tend to carve it like I would a smoked ham.

RichD

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

When I cook a whole pork shoulder (picnic and butt), I usually let it go until internal temp reaches 195 degrees. This way it will pull easily (both portions). If you don’t want to pull it, then you can slice it just like ham (as mentioned above), or do the following:
Make an incision parallel to the bone. The incision should be deep enough to hit the bone. Once you hit the bone, make smaller incisions along the sides of the bone until its easily removed. At this point you can split the picnic in a half or leave it whole. Put the flat surface (where the bone was) against a cutting board and slice it thinly. Enjoy!
I hope this helps.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

Smoking an average size shoulder at 225 how long does it usually take to bring it to an internal temp. of 195?
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:36 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I would say anywhere between 12-16 hours depending on your smoker type, weather, and weight.

Return to General Discussion