Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials MY first BBQ rub Use!!!!

MY first BBQ rub Use!!!!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 pm
Javi279 rare
rare

I have beggining this journey 3 months ago & I LOOve it every second . Thanks to BBQ bible books they have helped me to develop more techniques and flavor specially in RUBS. Man they change your taste on evrything I used this rub on a Chuck steak cut 1 month ago I wolud never be the same since that The combination of salts and sugar is asewome. Here in Puerto Rico pepole use only the typpical adobo but let me assure you adobo is a thung of the past for me . The BBq bibble is my second book after The Holy Bible. Well eveybody keep those grills going and enjoy I am sure I will. :D :D

God bless everybody

Javier Ferrer
Javier Ferrer
Jibarito (hillbiIly) BBQ
I'D RATHER BE GRILLING
[Image

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Javi279! :D

Being that cultures differ, my hope is to see some of the authentic flavors from your area too. For example .... don't know that I've ever had adobo, so I'd like to try it. :wink:

We love seeing pictures too. :D

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Javier! :D

I remember how excited I was when I first discover rubs. There are many different ones, and they all taste very different from one another.

We're glad you joined!

See you around the board.

A.

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:35 am
Chris35 well done
well done

Welcome aboard Javier
Large BGE
Char-Griller Pro/SFB

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 am
drmidi raw
raw

On the topic of "meat rubs"... I must thank my mother who taught me many years ago about "the meat spices." By this, she meant the four basic spices used on just about any meat which is: salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. In recent years, I have become more interested in using these basic spices, as well as many others in my every-day cooking. And, I now have some more time to get into all of those great recipes which I now have in a fairly extensive recipe book collection. Even with these great new cookbooks, I still go to "the cooking Bible," (which has always been, "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker) first and read up on the basics of cooking just about anything. Then I look at the new and more recent variations on a theme.

So, getting back to "meat rubs," I use a variation of two recipes from Daisy Martinez's book (Daisy Cooks!). In her book, she has two basic meat rub recipes, a wet meat rub (adobo mojado) and a dry one (adobo seco), and both for meats and poultry. The wet meat rub is essentially garlic cloves, sea or kosher salt, black peppercorns, oregano, olive oil and white wine vinegar. (Obviously, you must grind up the dry ingredients into a paste and then mix in the wet oil and vinegar.

The dry rub is more of a Spanish extension of "the meat spices" my mom taught to me, in that we have:
6 tbsp salt
3 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp ground black pepper (I use coarse ground black pepper)
1+1/2 tsp ground oregano
(and to this list I add sweet Hungarian paprika)

I make this meat rub up in advance and then dispense it in a small spice shaker. I used this meat rub for making beer-can chicken after marinating the chickens in a marinade of Italian dressing, 1 cup water, 3 cups red cider vinegar, bay leaves, the juice of one lemon, and a few smashed garlic cloves.

I also make her "achiote oil" which is virgin olive oil brought to medium heat with achiote (annato seeds). Once the oil turns a bright red and starts to "twinkle" as Daisy describes it, the seeds are strained out of the oil and you can use this oil to brown chicken, add extra color and flavor to Spanish yellow rice, etc.

Let's just say that my spice rack has grown with age to include a whole variety of spices that I now use just about every day in my cooking. All of these spices and ethnic cooking techniques come together to make for some wonderful and tasty meals, whether it is from the grill, in the pan, or in the oven.

I'm just lovin' it! :D

Return to Testimonials