Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Eye of round

Eye of round

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:54 pm
Mason rare
rare

I found a whole eye of round at a low price and figured I could do something with it on the grill or in the smoker I'm getting for Father's day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to prepare this or is this something that would be better relegated to a different cooking method?

Thanks,

Mason

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:15 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

The Eye of Round is the tenderest part out of all the Round cuts. It’s what most commercial prepared roast beef is made out of. If you ever got pre-sliced roast beef at the Deli, you probably had it. I found this to be the best way to cook it:
Apply your favorite rub to it. Sear all sides over hot coal or hot grill, and then smoke it at 225-250 degrees until internal temp reaches 125 degrees. Let rest for 10-15 min, and then slice it thinly across the grain. This cut is best cooked to Rare or Medium-rare, if you take up to a higher degree of doneness, it may get a little tough and chewy.
Happy Father's Day :)

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:17 pm

I agree with BBCue-Z. I've had good luck cooking eye of round on my Weber kettle, using the indirect method, with pecans (yes, pecans) for smoke. Be sure not to overcook it.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:09 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I did a small one recently, and cooked it to a perfect medium. It was chewy. I'm not a big fan of round because it is too lean to be tender in many casews, IMHO. Since I don't own a smoker, I'd suggest following BBcue-Z's advice. I'd also suggest slicing it really thin.

For me, I'm going to try sirloin next time.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion