Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The "Q" Grill

The "Q" Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:08 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I just saw an infommercial for a portable gas grill called the "Q" grill, and laughed my butt off.

It is a little collapsable grill that weighs about 10 pounds, uses propane bottles that look like the ones used in Coleman camp stoves, and looks like a rocketship or something.

Throughout the show, they carefully badmouthed every other type of grill on the market, using actors to make the others look so terribly difficult to use that the "Q" is the only logical choice. As with most gas enthusiasts (and I apologize in advance,) their main talk is about speed. If speed is the main criteria for your choice of equipment, do what the guy in Indiana did. He put a whole bag of charcoal in a square grill, dropped a match in the center, then dumped a bucket of liquid oxygen on it. The entire load of charcoal was lit in SIX SECONDS! Unfortunately, it also totally melted the grill.

Now, I admit to being a major charcoal fan, as food cooked on gas grills, to me, always tastes rubbery. (You notice I said, "to me.)

This toy-like "BBQ Grill" has what they claim is a $219 MSRP, but buying it through the infommercial, it is only 4 payments of $33.00 plus s/h. I am sorry, but for over $135, I will go to Wally World and get the $98 vertical smoker, then swing by the Beverage House for a few sacks of charcoal.

Whether one uses charcoal or gas or even electricity, I salute anyone who thinks the "Q" is a huge waste.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:54 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Star- I haven't seen the comercial you talk about but I really hope that it wasn't the Weber Q they were pushing. I can't believe Weber would advertise like that. The Weber Q does fill the description of that type of grill though and from what I've seen and what I've heard from some very respected guys on the board, its a nice little grill.
I wouldn't rely on it as my primary grill but for some people it works just fine given their needs. Others use it as a secondary or even third or travel grill.
It all boils down to as long as your happy with your purchase and a grilling good food.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:25 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Geez, not watching television is a blessing.

Don't confuse this "Q" with the Weber "Q". The Weber is a great little grill, Iv'e owned one for about 4 months and use the heck out of it. It weighs in at 41 lbs, has a great cast iron grate and does a steak right proud. It also runs on the little propane cylinders, or you can run it off a 20 lb tank. I've cooked everything from steaks, burgers, dogs, yardbird, fish, everything except food that needs indirect heat to taste right. In Virginia and especially in this area, city ordances require a grill that uses a 1lb cylinder in a building that houses 4 or more families, apts condos etc. I sell the heck out the Weber, usually sell 6 a week. I even use my "Q" for cooking demos at the Home Depot I work at.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:43 pm
Big Belly rare
rare

These lil buggers are soooo cute! However, it makes you want to start poking at it and the operator stating "Is this all ya got? You call this a meal?
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:49 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hehehe, I've seen these things and for me it would represent nothing more than a collectible oddity doo-dad. Saw it in person in BJ's price club. I think you would have to be a real stooge to buy one of these things in lieu of a Weber you can by at any reputable hardware store. It does look neat and like I said, if you collect, you'll have to have one.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:16 pm

The name of the website that they used was Thane, so I am sure it is NOT a Weber. I have seen a very similar grill at Wal-Mart for $99.00, and I would have to agree that, if I were more financially solvent, I MIGHT buy one just as an oddity for laughs. I also agree that if one is happy with their equipment, more power to 'em. I know some would laugh at what I use, but you can't buy a $1,000 grill on what we have to live on, and we are making the best with what we have to work with.

The important thing is, have fun and eat good.

starpacker

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:19 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

Sorry, that last post was me, I didn't notice I had been logged out.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I bought a WEBER BABY Q and love the little thing. It works great for week night grilling for 2 people. I too do not believe that the Q mentioned here was a Weber.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I saw an online video of the guy who lights his charcoal with liquid oxygen. Very freaky- he was getting temps hot enough to turn his entire grill to slag. It did indeed take only 6 seconds, though. He lit 60 lbs. of charcoal using 3 gallons of liquid oxygen. The flame was so bright it actually knocked the video camera's light sensors offline, and the charcoal lit in 3 seconds on his fastest test. (FASTEST TEST??? You mean there was more than ONE???)

For those of you who are blacksmiths, this is well past the "blinding white" color of melted steel at 2730F. It was closer to blue-white, and it kicked up a helluva column of flame- the guy (George Goble) used a 10-foot long ladle to pour the liquid oxygen onto the charcoal- it was too hot to get closer..

I seem to recall it was on a chemistry site, so I Googled it. Turns out that the original website has been taken down (probably for safety reasons). Here's a link to a related site:

http://www.discoverchemistry.com/dcv2-docroot/student/fun_stuff/quick_barbecue/default.html

I'd file it under "Stupid Human Tricks". Don't try this at home, even with regular oxygen gas.

Here's a reprint of a Dave Barry article on the subject:

http://www.aquecorp.com/vincent/humor/protected/nuclear.picnic.html

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK. Here's a link to this silly thing

www.tvproductsonly.com/q-grill/q-grill.html

It is in fact NOT a Weber product.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:03 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Man- that thing looks flimsy. It looks like it'll burn through in a few hours.

For that price I'll stick to my $20 portable hibachi! It's been working for me for 25 years.....

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:29 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've seen this little sucker at BJ's wholesale club. It looks more like a Sta Wars to than a grill. If I wan't a canp grill I'll stick with my Coleman Powermax.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:09 am
Big D well done
well done

$100 for that! Thast is absurd.... I wouldnt pay more than $15 and I doubt I would even do that

Return to General Discussion