Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best BBQ in Texas

Best BBQ in Texas

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:18 pm
mrkling raw
raw

I was a little dissappointed with Coopers in Llano, their vinegar based sauce wasn't my favorite, but the meat was smoked well.

I like the Salt Lick in Austin, but I feel I can do better in the back yard. Its also quite a haul from Killeen.

Texas Shutterbug, Fat boys in Temple is also pretty good, I think it is alot better than Clem Mikeskas.

Doesn't anyone in Texas use hickory!!!

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board mrkling! :D

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:39 pm

Mrklink...

I use primarily Hickory, but then again, I'm not a native Texan. I was born and raised in Louisiana, where pecan and oak are the preferred woods. However, my mom's side of the family are from Eastern Kentucky, where Hickory is preferred. I've eaten good Q smoked with Mesquite, but I think the flavor is more acrid than with some of the more mellow woods. Pecan is hard to come by where I am, but I can get Hickory blocks in bags at Lowes. I'm happy with the flavor and the results.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:43 am

Rockin' R in Rockport is the best I found.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've done the Luling/Lockhart barbecue tour. There's a 4th place in Lockhart that doesn't get much mention - Chisholm Trail - that's as good as any barbcue place I've ever been.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:02 pm
BBQ-Phil raw
raw

Hi...I m Phil from Stuttgart,Germany.
I had my best BBQ in City Market in Luling.....also my relatives in Cost/Gonzales do great BBQ!

Greetings,Phil
Vegitarians don't become older,they just look like that!

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 am
pitdog rare
rare

they do have some good bbq in luling

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board BBQ-Phil! :D

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:02 pm
nelmsm rare
rare

I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks and should be somewhere between Junction and Fredericksburg at lunch time. Anyone have any recommendations on where I can find the best BBQ along that route.

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 pm

:P
I have eaten BBQ all over this state and many others and without a doubt the best BBQ anywhere is still at the Salt Lick outside Austin in Driftwood Texas.
mahalo…

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:04 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Starcrest86! :D

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:12 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Starcrest86.

Rob

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:53 am

Gonna have to Say Clem Mikeska's in Temple Texas. Buttered Potatoes, Fresh Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, and ham. I tell ya, all I needed was my Gates BBQ sauce, and it would have been perfect. But for me, the best Texas BBQ place is Clem Mikeska's.

http://www.clembbq.com/

LVS
Weber Performer One Touch Charcoal Grill

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:47 pm

I've only eaten at Clem Mikeska's in Temple once and that was enough. The meat was dry and overcooked - the peach cobbler was nasty - overcooked, dough like hard-tack, and the peach filling was like it had been stretched with some kind of starch/sugar mix. That was about 12:30 on a Satruday.

I have had their BBQ at a function when it was catered in. It was a better, but certainly not the best I've had. It was VERY average.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:09 am

I am on company business in San Antonio in early October for a week and need to taste some authentic TX BBQ while I am there.
Any suggestions?
I will be renting a car so I am willing to travel.
Thanks all !

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint