Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Serving Brisket

Serving Brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:42 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I need everyones opinion here. My coworkers are getting tired of the little teasing tidbits I bring them from my adventures in Queing. So I suggested they get together adn decide what they wanted. As long as they anteed up for it I would gladly smoke it for them. Well it looks like it's time to put my money where my mouth is.
They have decided on a brisket. Whoo hoo only the most difficult of the meats to get right. I am confident in my abilitites with this, but I have a question about serving this.
I will be doing this a day ahead of time and would like ot know; would you slice it the day it is smoked and or leave it and slice it for serving the next day.
I would appreciate hearing what you all do in this type of situation.

Thanks

RichD

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:07 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I would slice it the day of serving. (after reheating of course) You would not want to risk slicing it too early for risk of drying out when reheating.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:30 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I can only offer information based on experience. I have always reheated the brisket and then slice it while serving. Besides, if you're smoking a large brisket it's an impressive hunk of meat to present. If you were to reheat sliced portions, I would imagine you'd want to do so with it in some reserved juices and covered to keep from drying it out, as mentioned.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:40 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

My problem will be with reheating it. Since I will be serving it at work I will have limited access to reheat it. For presentation I would like to slice it the day of serving. I was thinking if I let it rest for 10 minutes once it was done and then wrap it tight I won't lose the juices.
How about this. Slice it the day of serving and put it in a chaffing dish to warm it up. I could retain the juices then and use them to keep the brisket from drying. Possibly retain some marinade as well. What do you think?

RichD

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:45 pm
Big Belly rare
rare

Sure, just cover it with a little plastic wrap. The only real deterioration you will experience is the bark getting a tad mushy on ya.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'd say when conditions are less than ideal, you have to make the best of what you have to work with. Do your best to keep it moist and let us know how it turns out. Lessons learned can help us all in a pinch.

Keeping our fingers crossed :wink: .

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:11 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve done the brisket both ways. When I sliced it on the same day that I cooked it, I placed the slices in a deep dish and poured some of the mop sauce over them. I kept in covered in the refrigerator until the next day. And then I warmed it up (with the sauce still in the baking dish), and served it. It turned out very moist, tender and juicy. If you think about, that’s what we usually do with pulled pork. Both methods gave me excellent results. If you want, you could cut a piece of the brisket and try both methods and decide which one you like best.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:26 pm
MrEd rare
rare

Let me add to the question. What about pulled pork? Would you smoke it, package it, freeze it, reheat it, then shred or would it be best to shred it before freezing?

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:32 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

MrEd I've done it both ways. It takes longer to reheat as a whole piece of meat. Most would agree that you smoke it, shredit, package it into servings with a little sauce, freeze it, then reheat it. Servings could be either family-sized or scaled down for individuals. This makes reheating a lot quicker and easier. If you have a vacuum sealer, a tip mentioned partial freezing to solidify the juices prior to vacuuming. The bags also go from the freezer to boiling water without having to thaw.

Enjoy!

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:55 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree- I'm doing 40 lbs. of pulled pork for the 4th of July, and we'll be cooking and pulling it the day before. A quick reheat in the oven is all that's needed.

It can be a big time concern when you need to reheat whole pieces of meat. I'f you don't get the temp of the pork back up to 190+F it won't pull.

I've also reheated sliced and cooked brisket. The chafing dish is a great idea as long as it isn't too hot. A steam tray works better, if you can find one.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:55 am
MrEd rare
rare

Ok, I cooked my 22 lbs of pork and pulled it yesterday and put it in the freezer. Since I don't have a foodsaver (next on my wish list) I put it in freezer bags. Bob-BQN, you say reheat in boiling water, and CanadaBBQGuy you say in the oven. I want to retain as much moister as possible. I will be in the great outdoors when reheating. Will the freezer bags hold up to boiling water (the package says microwavable), or should I dump the contents into tinfoil and heat in a dutchoven? I want it to turn out the best it can since I have been talking up my bbq since I got my weber bullet a month ago. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Mr Ed

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

MrEd,

As each brand can be different and I have not tested freezer bags, I think you could do one on two suggestions:

1) Call the manufacturer or visit their website to see if their product holds up to boiling. It would seem that it would, the seal would be my concern. Make sure there is as little air in the bag as possible if it does. As air expands and will cause the bag to float and eventually pop.

2) Do a test and boil one.

The Vacuum sealed bags have no air so they do not expand. And since the seal is not a "zipper" and is melted together it doesn't fail in boiling water. They also hold in all the moisture & juices from the meat so it can't dry out. The vac bags are also microwave safe.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:29 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

FoodSaver bags are boil-in bag safe.

Regular freezer bags are NOT the same as boil-in bags. And do not use them in the oven.

I have had good results reheating in a double boiler when meat was not vac sealed.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:43 pm
MrEd rare
rare

I have done more research on the internet. According to Glad's site you should not boil their bags. I also came across this link as well

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/storing.html

Thanks for your feedback.

--Mr Ed

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:45 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Let ask a question on this topic now...
For the upcoming 4th celebration I'm going to christen my Chargriller with two new items. Pork Butt and Brisket.
I'm going to Smoke them the day before for ease. And reheat them the next day. I'm cool with the Butt, I'm planning on pulling it Saturday and heating it in a steam tray Sunday. Now the brisket is where my question lies, to reheat it whole what do you guys typically do? Oven or back to the smoker or grill? And how much time do you typically alot for this and at what temps?
Thanks fo rthe suggestions.

Next

Return to General Discussion