Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Howdy, New to the Board

Howdy, New to the Board

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:37 am
Nukem medium-rare
medium-rare

Howdy, how yall doing?

I am new to this board, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would throw some wood on the fire. 8) . I have been grilling for a long time. Right now I have a no name grill that with a little luck will be replaced this summer with a Weber Silver! Five years ago I got a Brinkman water smoker and have Qed a few good dishes on that. 18 months ago I got a Char Griller with a Side fire box and that opened up the flood gates! I mostly use chunk mesquite charcoal and apple wood for smoke. However this weekend I used Pecan wood for smoke and think that may be the new wood of choice. I really want to get my hands on a 1/2 cord of apple wood so I can go to an all wood Q. Nothin like playin with fire! :twisted:

My specialties are Smoked Tri-Tip, beer can chicken, smoked duck/goose and grilled shrimp. I tend to favor St. Louis style rubs and sauces but occasionally I will kick them up with some cajun influances. Cyanne good! I have two of Steven's books, beer can chicken and Rubs, sauses and marranades and have learned a lot from them. I also have a few other BBQ books as well.

This weekend I also tried the Weber Quick Starts on lump mesquite charcoal and really liked the results! I filled my chimney with charcoal and put two quick starts underneath with a couple of chunks of charcoal and lit er up. They really worked great!

Anyway, I have enjoyed this site and have gotten a lot of good advice.

Nukem
I can't eat this, there aint no meat!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Nukem, welcome to the board! Sounds like you'll have some good input down the road. Hope you'll stick around.

See if you have a local orchard in your area. Sometimes you can get apple prunings for free.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:23 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

Welcome to the board Nukum. Living down in SoCal... you should be able to make the short drive and get some of that great Santa Maria Red Oak. We have a place up here that makes the trip down south twice a month just to pick up Santa Maria Red Oak.... it gives beef a wonderful flavor.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 7:08 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Welcome to the board Nukem.

BigDaddy,
We’re thinking of moving back to Calif next year and Modesto is one of the areas we’ll be looking at. We will be there this summer looking for a home; do you recommend a certain part of town? Any input will be helpful. We used to live in San Jose, but it’s too crowded and too expensive now and we can never go back there.
Thanks.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 8:45 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Welcome Nukem -- Sounds like you can offer some good advice. I think I may try some of the Weber starters this weekend.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:52 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Another warm welcome to ya Nukem :lol: !

I've only been around here a short while myself, but as you say you've already been lurking I know you can tell that there's a good bunch of folk's here with lot's of good info to share.

Although at time's I wonder if some of them may have inhaled a bit too much hickory smoke over the year's :wink: .Sound's like you've also got a few fire's under your belt as well ( that don't quite sound right ), Anyhow, hope you jump in on the discussions. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:19 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Welcome Nukem.
Out of curiosity from your name, do you like your meat well-done?

BBcue-Z,
Are you moving out of the neighborhood? We'll have to recruit some more locals. Let me know if you have any wood that's too "bulky" to carry all the way to California. We'll have to share a meal before you go.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:25 pm

Thank you one and all! I'll try to pitch in when I can. Knowing BBQers it isn't the fumes that makes them nutty, although some of those fumes from Nor. Cal smell like wacky tabaky :wink: So the buzz must be the beers we cook with, er drink, the bourbon in our BBQ sauce, er drink... Aww Heck, I like to drink!

I have used oak before and don't care for it much. It has a flavor that is to strong for me. Kinda like eating a steak, that taste like Chardonay. :shock:

I was talking with a co-worker whos family owns apple orchards and supposedly he has 1/2 a cord of apple wood for me! I told him I could get it in a week, so we'll see! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 2:58 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect wrote:
Are you moving out of the neighborhood? We'll have to recruit some more locals. Let me know if you have any wood that's too "bulky" to carry all the way to California. We'll have to share a meal before you go.

Vinsect,
It’ll probably be a year before we move out of the area, but we’ll absolutely have to share a meal. And the wood and charcoal are yours.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 8:08 am
Airfoils well done
well done

How did I miss this thread? Welcome to the board Nukem!

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:18 am
Vinsect well done
well done

BBcue-Z,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been busy moving to a new neighborhood myself. Glad to hear you won't be moving away for a year or so. Once we get settled into the house, we'll see about getting together for a meal.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:36 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect wrote:
BBcue-Z,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been busy moving to a new neighborhood myself. Glad to hear you won't be moving away for a year or so. Once we get settled into the house, we'll see about getting together for a meal.

I figured you were busy when we did not hear from you in a while. We’ll definitely have plan that meal soon.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:07 pm
Big Belly rare
rare

*waves*
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Return to General Discussion