Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking with a kettle grill?

Smoking with a kettle grill?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:01 pm
wfd146 rare
rare

I just purchased a Weber kettle grill and was wondering how these are for smoking?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:33 pm
Grumpster raw
raw

WFD, I have a Weber charcoal grill, a Weber Gas grill and a restaurant style smoker oven. I think most will say that the charcoal grill will smoke just fine and I would agree with that for the most part.

However, I find that placing soaked wood chips (well drained) on the coals tend to cause them to loose some of their heat. In fact, I have had my fire burn out prematurely on a couple of occasions because of that.

Before buying my smoker oven, I did most of my smokin' on the charcoal grill. Instead of placing the chips directly on the coals, I wound up making a small "box" out of heavy duty alum. foil, poking several small holes on top and placing it directly on the coals.

For indirect method, which is what you would normally do when somkin', you could make one for each side or for one side only.

For those that have Weber gas grills, I have found that this works better than the cheezy fire box that comes with the grill.

-----------------------
Grumpster

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:33 pm
WeberBoy rare
rare

I can be done, but the temperture control isn't as easy as it is with a true smoker.

Use the indirect cooking method, chunks of smoke wood (not chips), and control the temp with small changes in the bottom vents.

WeberBoy

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:09 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

wfd146 wrote:
I just purchased a Weber kettle grill and was wondering how these are for smoking?

Howdy,

I have found that any grill can do a good job of smoking, if it is done right. I have always had a great deal of success with taking a handful of dry chips of your favorite smokin' wood and wrap it in a couple of layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, and make a tight package of it. then, job it with a fork several times, then lay it right on the coals, or over the burners in a (ec-c-c-h-h-h-h) gas grill. When done, just toss the packet in the receptacle where you normally dump your ashes ( be sure it is dead, maybe drop it in a bucket of water for a while.)

Return to General Discussion