Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion base for sauce??

base for sauce??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:37 am
snooks

hello all
I have my own bbq business and the only think I havent done yet is my own sauce.Looking for what might be a good starting point for the bbq sauce.I am thinking ketchup(maybe homemade)cider vinegar,worchestire (its late)and brown sugar as my base.Also add spices garlic,and onion.If anyone can steer me on this one it would be great.

thanx

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:37 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

There are several great cookbooks out there. All of Stevens books give several different choices for sauces. The Tamarind and Banana BBQ sauce from "Sauces,Rubs, and Marinades" uses very few of the ingredients you mentioned and will still knock your socks off. "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamison's has a few sauce receipes, Paul Kirks, "Championship Barbeque" has some great sauce recipes. The more important thing is that all of the books give some great insight in developing your own unique sauces, and rubs.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:12 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I agree, you need to get a copy of Steve's Sauces Rubs and Marinades book and start experimenting with those. Once you do enough of them, you'll start to gravitate to what you like and then fine tune it as you wish. Keep a log of the ones you try and have your wife rate them with you. If you have more people to help you rate them all the better to get as many tongues giving opinions as possible.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:29 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I have Steve's book and enjoy them greatly. I also have Paul Kirk's books and I think if you are looking to learn how to build a sauce, rub or marinade then you should pick up a copy of Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbecue Sauces". While it has a lot of great recepies in it, it also is a great teaching book.

RichD

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:51 am
snooks

thank you all very much.Very good advice.Although i am not one for referring to a book i think I might have to one this one for some guidance.I was actually guessing on those base ingredients so it will be fun to see if i as close.I have the book smoke and spice and dont read it very much----awesome book though.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:44 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Snooks,

Like the others I would recommend following some recipes to see what you like and how different ingredients taste. Then you can start to experiment and change and pretty soon you will have your own sauce. Here is a link to the basic BBQ red sauce that I have tinkered with over the years. http://www.roffee.org/BBQRedSauced.htm

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:15 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I started out making Steve's Basic BBQ Sauce, with my own little touches, but then I got lazy. Now I use Cattleman's Original Recipe, and add a half pint of JD's Old No. 7 to a half gallon of Cattleman's. Works for me.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:12 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

This reminds me of a question I've been wanting to learn more about. I've heard that most all of the sauces in world start with only a handful of ingredients. Similar to the way most cajun dishes all start with a rue (sorry don't know the correct spelling.)
There are milk bases, vineagar, wine, tomato, fats and oils, broths, what else?
As I understand it, once you know how to make your foundation sauces, everyting else is just making modifications and tweaks.
Any sauce chefs in the house?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:17 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I always start with a fair amount of bourbon.

Then I open jug of Cattlemans. Then I forget what else. :wink:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:25 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sure Vinsect,
I have many recipes for sauces (not BBQ); just let me know what you’re looking for.
Here is a good and easy one to go on BBQ chicken:
Dilute some Ranch salad dressing (original Hidden Valley works best) with some apple juice to your desired thickness, and then add as much of minced garlic as you like. Mix it well, and then dunk or brush the chicken with the sauce during the last few minutes of cooking and continue cooking the chicken until they get a light brown color on them. You’ll have the most unique BBQ chicken you’ve ever had. You’ll have to trust me on this one :wink:

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:47 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

Z,

Do you rub the chicken with anything before grilling or just do them naked, then make them get dressed up right before coming off the grill with your sauce?

JC

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I usually apply the rub in the begining and mop them with apple juice through out the cooking time, and then apply the sauce at the end.

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:42 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I think I like Yardburner's sauce the best. :twisted:

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:52 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

I love to experiment with sauces. The possibilities are endless and you can really do pretty much anything. Here is one of my favorites, a cherry BBQ sauce. Though its used here as marinade it works well as a basting sauce also on chicken or pork. http://catertots.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10

.....And yes YardBurner's sauce sounds like a winner! :lol:
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:05 pm
Big D well done
well done

I like sauces as well because I always just throw in what I have till it taste good... I especially like tomato based pasta sauces cause you just throw in all kinds of vegtables and lots of meat like hamburger, bacon and italian sauage and then just fool around with herbs and spices poruing in stuff you've chopped up until its perfect...

as for BBQ sauces I always like to try knew and exciting things but often times finding myself starting out with ketchup and brownsugar and just plaining with stuff...

oh and I like my food spicey so I always add lots of Tobasco saucs and fresh pepper and some Dave's hot sauce but what I found is great for a base lately are those Heinz ketchup kickers.. i get the spicey one rather than regular for my Kethcup and it makes a big difference.

just have fun!

Next

Return to General Discussion