Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Summer Grilling

Summer Grilling

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:31 am
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

What are your favorite things to grill in the summer versus what people ask you to grill? Is it the same thing?

Info
Last edited by Info@Workman on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:59 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

My favorites are the same as what people ask me to grill. This summer I added beer-can chicken and that has been most requested. I am currently working on a recipe for ribs so when I am happy with them, they will be most requested--well, at least by me!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:38 pm
chagan well done
well done

My favorite right now is the Buffa-Que chicken wings. These are without doubt the best wings I have ever had. The hot sauce that I used is my new favorite-Tobasco Chipoltle. It has a great smoke flavor and not too heavy on the vinegar. I never thought that my favorite hot sauce would be a tobasco product.) I did let the wings marinate overnight. I haven't had the opportunity to serve them to guests yet, but the wife loves them too. As for what everyone wants, what I want, to me- it doesn't really matter. I love the barbecue act just as much as the final product. I have served up steaks and barbecued chicken made with Big Bob's championship white sauce that went over very well. Working to keep things varied.

Chris

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:28 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

My favorite things to grill are pretty much the same as what people ask me to grill. I just enjoy grilling in general. I like to grill chicken and steaks (both beef and pork). I have tried Salmon that came out pretty good. Lately, I have been grilling Italian sausage and placing them in bakery type buns with cooked onions. Hopefully, I will get the chance to grill ribs successfully.
This past week-end I saw Steve's show where he grilled burgers with a pad of garlic/butter paste planted right in the middle of the burger. I have to add that one to my list of things I want to try.

Pete

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:51 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

My favorite thing to grill is carne asada. It just reminds me of growing up and time with family. It is also super easy to cook. I like food eaten with the hands. Most of the time I find people ask me for chicken... which is my least favorite item to grill. It is very tempramental about temperature (HA) and unless I am willing to spend time working the flavors doesn't really taste like much. It is fun though when someone looks at boneless chicken breast (There is always someone who wants boneless chicken breast) and says "Wow this is still juicy, how did you do that?" as if I had just conducted a magic trick.
Live Different

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:33 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Luke, I'm always looking for something new to try on the grill. I've never heard of carne asada. If possible, can you describe what it is, and how to grill it? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Pete

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 pm

My most requested thing to grill would be steaks. Rib-eyes with Onion salt, Garlic and Dinosaur Cajun Foreplay. :D My favorite would be a rack of ribs or chicken wings with a dry rub I've culled from various cookbooks and then putting on a mixture of Dinosaur BBQ sauce and Dinosaur Wango Tango sauce. Deelicious :D :D
My newest though comes from Steves latest (and first) newsletter on barbequing corn. My wife and I did a half-dozen ears tonight and tried out some of the variety of toppings mentioned in the newsletter. Our favorite: not mentioned in the newsletter but worth mentioning here - regular Dinosaur sauce on the corn. Wow! is that good! :D :D :D

Re:

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:27 am
Hawk rare
rare

Fajitas are my favorite. I also like Tripas but I have no idea how to make them on a grill.

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:19 am
dkirn well done
well done

As for personal likes - anything that comes off the grill! We grill at least 4-5 times a week and then smoke on Sunday. I can say that there is nothing that I have grilled that I did not enjoy (some more than others!!) especially the grilled pizza that we made last weekend after watching BBQU - I will not make pizza any other way! As far as requests from family and friends the request seems to just be that I grill something. For larger gatherings ribs seem to be the meat of choice, however I make a mean Kansas City Strip Steak!!

Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:21 pm
Brody rare
rare

We've been grilling pork butt with a Memphis Rub on the rotisserie. It's really simple and tastes great without out all of the work necessary to produce the pulled pork. Just rub, grill, slice it and you're good to go.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:24 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Sorry about the delay in response. Carne Asada is a Baja speciaty. It is similar to fajitas but served chopped in burritos or tacos and has a different flavor. The marinade is a mix of beer, oraange juice, oil, onions, pepper and garlic. The meat is skirt or flank steak. Marinade and cook over very high heat for about 2 minutes a aside. Serve on warm flower torilla with really good refried beans, salsa(No Chunks) and guacamole. They also should be served wth chopped onion, cilantro and lime. They are bascially North Mexican street food, a bit like a hot dog or hamburger might be in the US and for many Mexicans, especially those from Baja or north mexico it is heaven.
Live Different

Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:56 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Luke,
Thanks for the response about Carne Asada. That one sound interesting..especially the marinade. Will have to give it a try.

Pete

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:59 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

hickory pete wrote:
Luke, I'm always looking for something new to try on the grill. I've never heard of carne asada. If possible, can you describe what it is, and how to grill it? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Pete

Dear Pete,

Living in a predominately Hispanic county in Arizona, I can tell you that carne asada is Spanish for grilled meat. As with a lot of dishes, you will find as many different dishes served as carne asada as you will find recipes for chili. I have had carne asada at some 14 different Mexican restaurants in this area, and am amazed at the variety of ways to fix grilled beef. Try any of them, it's well worth it!

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:49 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Starpacker,

Thanks for the response. I was stationed in San Antonio during the 1960's, but due to the limited pay was never able to enjoy the local culture (mainly Hispanic). Now I wish I could have another try at some of those Mexican restaurants. Plenty of restaurants here in Sterling Heights, Michigan...Carne Asada will have to be the next meal to have when we dine out.

Pete

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:09 pm

Most requested? Rock Fish Fillets over mesquite.
Most favorite? Rock Fisk Fillets over mesquite - I catch a lot of Rock Fish!

Next

Return to General Discussion