Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint The Rib - Denison, TX

The Rib - Denison, TX

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:22 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I would have to say that my favorite BBQ Joint would the "The Rib" in Denison, Texas. It's a smal hole in the wall about 5 miles out of town in the country on Highway 69. If you leave there hungry, something is wrong with you. Prices are UNBELIEVABLY inexpensive. I can eat there for about the same price as going to any "fast food" joint, only at the Rib, you can buy a Rib plate (with 3 sides) for about 7 bucks and it is all you can eat Ribs. It isnt advertised as all you can eat, but if your plate is full of bones, they always offer more. With what you get to start out with, I have never been able to accept the generous offer. Everytime I leave that place, I feel just the same as I do after dinner on Thanksgiving - aka... I need a nap! I reccomend it to anybody who is ever in the area.

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:02 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Might be travelling to Abilene in November, how close is Denison?

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:43 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Hi Joe -

Denison is 242 miles away from Abeline, or you could say about 5 New Jersey's away! :shock: That's the thing about Texas - nothing is just around the corner. I personally wouldn't travel 4+ hours to eat somewhere, not even the BEST! I guess it all depends on how hungry you are! :D

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:22 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Thanks Toby,

You're absolutely right and not at $2.95 a gallon (N.J. price) either.
I'll look for something good in the Abilene area.

Joe

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:47 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I have no doubt that you will be able to find some great West Texas Q in Abeline. I'm sure the locals are just waiting to brag to a "yankee" :) where their favorite joint is located. Good luck and have a safe trip!

tex 8)

Post Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
txbbqguy rare
rare

Hey toby have you tryed the OO smoke house in sherman ? The paper had best of Texoma this weekend and had Crack n Oink as best Brisket and I am like Please !!! IMO it was not very good at all
Just Because There's Smoke DON'T MEAN THERE'S FIRE

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:54 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Hey txbbqguy -

Yes, I have eaten at the OO Smokehouse....its been a few years and I wasn't really impressed. It's actually only about about 2 blocks from my office.

As far as the Cackle and Oink - not for me either, although not as bad as Dickies (Worst ever in my opinion).

Can't beat "The Rib" in this area in my opinion if you are paying for your Que. Of course, I prefer mine over all! :D

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm
Ribcooker raw
raw

Hey texbbqguy and tex_toby,

You guys should know bbq is all subjective. Personally, I call OO Smokehouse - Sweaty BBQ, because if you enjoy the cook rendering his forehead juices into your bbq sandwich, you will love OO Smokehouse.

And at the rib, the food was alright, but definitely nothing to write home about. The 2nd round of all you can eats were the worst ribs I have ever had. Dry, little, no meat, terrible!! First round was alright, second round I wouldn't even feed those to my dog.

Cackle & Oink takes bbq most seriously around the area. That's why they won the world bbq championship in Memphis and that's why they won the popular vote for best brisket- 2 years. They are a great family and it's a great story of how they lost everything and took what they could scrounge together and opened Cackle and Oink. I don't need to say by looking at their parking lot everyday at lunchtime, that it has paid off.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Ribcooker! :D

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 pm
Ribcooker raw
raw

Thank you, I am REALLY looking forward to this!! :lol:

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Ribcooker!

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:50 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Ribcooker wrote:
Thank you, I am REALLY looking forward to this!! :lol:

Hello Ribcooker - although I am two months late, Welcome to the Board! :D
I rarely check the BBQ Joint forum and I have never seen you over in the general discussion. Glad to see another local on board!

Yes, you are correct about BBQ being very subjective. I think my bbq is better than any joint around, but that's just me. In the same sense, there is only one place in town I will order a steak and that is "The Library." Anywhere else and I could buy my own and cook it twice as good for 1/3 of the price. Hope to see you around more!

tex 8)

Return to Best BBQ Joint