Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion stacking meat to smoke

stacking meat to smoke

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:20 pm
Loene rare
rare

I have read about stacking ribs to cook, but I am wondering if you can use the same method for briskette? I'm just thinking that if I could and still get good results, then it would save me some time when preparing the meat for a wedding that I am doing. ANy input would be great.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Absolutely Loene,
In fact, when I cook 2 briskets at a time, this is the only way I do it. Just think of it this way, you have two fat caps basting the meat from both ends at the same time. I wouldn’t stack more than 2 briskets at the same time though. Keep in mind, the thicker the meat, the longer it takes for the heat to reach the center. It’s done like this: Fat cap to meat [[ with the fat cap ending on top. Move the lower brisket to the top every hour. There is absolutely no need to mop these briskets. The melting fat from the cap will do the job for you. You could mop for extra flavor if you like. Also keep in mind, these briskets will take longer to cook, but the results are awesome. Let me know if you have any questions.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:19 pm
Loene rare
rare

WHen you say longer, just how much longer? I normally do an hour to hour and a half per pound of briskette.
Thats just my 2 cents worth, dont worry about it, I have a big full jar of pennies

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:20 am
Don Marco well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
Move the lower brisket to the top every hour..

Wow, doesnt that increase the cooking time by 15 minutes EACH time you
take the lid off ?
Remember, the heat must rise again.

If i were you , i´d try to get a second grate in and put that a little over the lower brisket.
Then swap the meat from the lower to the upper grate every 2 hours.

You get a much faster cook that way and a better smoke penetration..

Just my 2 cent, based on my experience with my weber smokey mountain cooker.

Don Marco

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

It all depends on the meat thickness and how full your smoker is. I couldn’t really give an exact time, but for planning sake, I would add another half hour per pound. And if you finish them earlier, you can always wrap them and keep them warm. This method is similar to the one in “HTG”, except you’re not placing the brisket in a pan; you’re using another brisket to do the same job. Another word, the meat bastes in its own juices.

Return to General Discussion