Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken, not on a can

Beer Can Chicken, not on a can

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:58 am
ellem52 raw
raw

I am reading BCC right now and SR mentions several alternatives to beercans. I have no beercans as I don't drink beer from a can,

Is anyone using the four or five alternatives SR recomends in the beginning of the book?
Mmmm meat

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:50 pm
chagan well done
well done

I use Willies Chicken Sitters. They work well and are more stable than a can.

http://www.barbecue-store.com/chickensitters.htm

Chris

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

egkor rare
rare

I went and bought a inexpensive 6 pack (12 oz cans) of beer just to do the beer can chicken. The end result is worth it!

I use a wire-frame type "chicken sitter" support. It has a nice wide round base. The can sits in the support, and the chicken sits on that, over the half-full can. I got this at Lowes, about $6.00 USD.

The result was beyond expectation. It was a home run, out of the park. I love it when even the white meat comes out juicy and flavorful.

-egkor
Last edited by egkor on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:43 pm
ellem52 raw
raw

chagan wrote:
I use Willies Chicken Sitters. They work well and are more stable than a can.

http://www.barbecue-store.com/chickensitters.htm

Chris

That looks very cool. I saw this one anyone using this?

http://www.richardskitchen.com/

like the above with 3 pieces one of them being a ceramic drip pan.
Mmmm meat

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:09 am
starpacker

I found the Willie's Chicken Sitters at the local Wal-Mart for $4.84. Looks to be much more stable than a beer can and two drumsticks :lol:

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:07 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I also drink my beer from bottles. So now my wife saves a few clean soda cans that I use and just fill w/ beer from the bottle. Since you only need about half a can, you might as well use a beer that you enjoy drinking!

Tom

Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:00 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I use the Chicken Holder from Outlaws Products(www.outlawsproducts.com). It is made of heavy stainless steel, with a stable base and handles to place it on the grill. What is unique about it is that they provide a heavy-guage wire "cage" which sits over the cylinder containing the liquid. The chicken sits on the "cage". When the bird is finished, use the hook included to reach down the neck opening, catch the "cage" and lift it and the bird off the base. The hot liquid and the base stay on the grill. Fantastic1
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:03 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I agree with Starpacker. Willie's Chicken Sitter from Wal-Mart is a good deal at less than $5.00. The local store near me had a large quantity on hand as of yesterday.

Pete

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:46 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I use and would reccomen the "Tipsy Chicken Cooker".

It's an aluminum Cylinder with an angled top welded to a baseplate. It works great it very stable, conducts heat well and is easy to clean.
I like the absence of a drip pan because I like the flavor the drippings put off. The aluminum plate does reduce flare ups.

They are available from the sites below for about $30.

http://www.grilllovers.com/shopItemDeta ... CD30SBACTE

OR

www.tipsychicken.com

They also make a larger unit for Turkeys although I don't think I'd trust it for birds bigger than 12 pounds. Their seasoning are pretty tasty too. I have not tried their new capsules yet.

If you can't find a unit you like, or don't want to spend the money I'd go with the .50 soda can.

Good Luck and Enjoy

"Always Go Big"

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:59 pm
chasw raw
raw

TOMP wrote:
I also drink my beer from bottles. So now my wife saves a few clean soda cans that I use and just fill w/ beer from the bottle. Since you only need about half a can, you might as well use a beer that you enjoy drinking!

Tom

My theory is (when using beer or wine)don't cook with anything that i don't drink. In other words, don't cook with the cheap stuff. Pour half a bottle of beer in a clean soda can & enjoy the other half. Then open another beer cause half a beer just wets your whistle & it's easy to get dehydrated when BBQing.

My favorite canned beer for Beer can chicken is Tecate (Mexican beer). Good to drink ice-cold with a li'l lime.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:54 pm
Chas

I make my chicken sitters. out of stainlees steel with a 12 inch tray on for the base, handles because the chicken is hot. I also put a spike on each corner of the tray for potatoes. The juce from the chicken can cause flair ups. I do not use beer cans because they have paint on the outside

I also make double sitters with six potato spikes.

Chas

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:31 pm
maestro

I typically use a 16-oz. can instead of the typical 12-oz. can. The larger base seems to balance a lot better, but you still have to suffer through half a can of anything that comes in a 16-oz. can (life is too short to drink cheap beer). Has anyone ever tried using a large can of beer (pint of Sapporo, etc.) and making Beer Can Turkey?

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've never used a larger can to do a Turkey, I'd question the weight and stability of the bird on the can.
However if you're wondering how the beer can principle works on a Turkey I can tell you that it is every bit a good. I personally use the Tipsy Turkey cooker I describe above, and they turn out great.
It is possible that one of the other devices listed above or one of the can sitter/stabilizers on the market would work with the bigger can and let you go for the bigger bird.
No matter how you pull it off it can and should be tried!
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:49 am
lenpra raw
raw

Last night I made beer can chicken using my new Webber Poultry Roaster instead of using a can. Chicken was just as good. Roaster is comprised of three parts: a bottom tray (no grease on your grill) which includes the "infuser cup" (replaces the can, a removable cone (goes into the chicken's butt and sits on the infuser cup", and a neck stopper to seal the top cavity. All non-stick. Cooking is the same. Removal from grill much safer - no worry about spilling hot liguid. Cleaned up fast.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:24 am
chagan well done
well done

I haven't tried it yet, but a co worker used a "oil can" of Fosters lager on a turkey and said it was impecable. Willies also makes turkey sitters FYI.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion