Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Went to Lowe's for nail's..came home w / a Char-Griller

Went to Lowe's for nail's..came home w / a Char-Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Guess I just couldn't resist all the recent hype here lately.

Ran up to Lowe's to pick up some nail's today, and came home with a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro :lol: . I was also concerned about the recent talk of rising steel price's. I knew that if I waited til next year they might have gone up quite a bit in price, so I was able to tell the Mrs. that I was just trying to save us some money :roll: .

Oh yeah, speaking of the Mrs., she said she'd like to have a word with BBcue-Z, Grand Scale, and all the other Char-Griller Smokin' Pro owner's on the board :evil: But I don't know what that's all about :? Just kiddin' of course.

Do you guy's know if any retail store's carry Weber chimney starter's? Lowe's had some small "off-brand" one's there for $ 6.00 but it only had holes around the bottom portion of it, none in the wall's of the chimney. I could have drilled it, but it was too small anyway. I saw some Weber's on Amazon on sale for about $10.00 but would rather just pick some up locally for the convienience if possible. Thank's YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:40 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bill, I want one too! Congrats on your new friend.

The Weber chimneys are great.

I found them at Southern States co-op for $12 or 13 dollars. And yes the size and air holes seem to make a difference.

They also seem to last forever (keep'em dry)

I burned out many of the cheapies and could have bought just one or two Weber's. (I now have three of them. I use mainly 1 or 2 at home but use all three at church.

www.southernstates.com/cgi-bin/mqinterconnect?link=find

This is their store locator.

They have 2 in your area.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:02 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's YB!

The wife think's I've flipped my wig! Appreciate the Southern States link... never even thought of them. We have one 5 mi. from here, been in a couple of times for hunting dud's, never noticed if they had any grilling stuff though, but it was off season. I'll give them a call in the A.M. to see if they've got them :lol: Yhank's again! YB2

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:36 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

NICE... you'll love your Char-Griller. I've had mine put together for about a week now. I've cooked with it at least 4 times so far... tonight I did some awsome steaks... the wife told me "nice choice you made, it not only looks cool, it works great". So you'll be in the clear with the miss soon.

In my neck of the woods, Orchard Supply Hardware carries the Webber starter, about 14 bucks.

Don't tell him I told you to... but ask BBcue-Z anything about the Char-Griller... he's da man on that. I've still have some questions for him... I'm just trying to pace myself.

Have fun...

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Thank's BigDaddy,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your's! And I'm sure I'll love mine as well once I get to play with it for a while.

And you are absolutely correct about Z being "da man". That man sure know's his stuff and gives some top rate advice. Best wishes. YB2

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:26 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YB2 Congratulation on your Char-Griller,
You’re going to love it. As far as the Mrs., I found the best way to convince them, is to smoke enough meat for the whole week. This way they don’t have to cook during the week, and that’s makes them happy. Of course it makes no difference with my wife, because I do all the cooking around here.
YB2 and BigDaddy,
Thanks for the nice comments about me :oops: . Please let me know if you need any help with your new grills, and welcome to the Char-Griller family. Hey… maybe we could start a new thread for all the Char-Griller owners. :lol:

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:50 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Yankee Bill.
Congrats on the Chargriller! We'll have to get together so I can teach ya about brisket :D
Just remember you have to use a match to light the charcoal there is no ignighter on a Chargriller :twisted:

If Southern States doesn't have the Weber Chiminey, try Taylors Do It Centers. I know the one down here by me on Independence had them the last time I was in there. I'll bet the one on Little Creek has them too.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YB2-
It's a great feeling to look at your patio and see that big beautiful D and That big ol' barrel side by side. I've been known to sit there and stare at them thinking "what next".
Congrats. There a great thread about seasoning them here somewhere. I believe the thread is "Choose between two grills" or something close. Of course the key info on seasoning your new to is from Z.
Good Luck, get er' goin for the weekend.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:41 am
Big Belly rare
rare

Yeah that smoker is a bute! I am sure your wife will agree that this was a fisaclly responsible decision on your part once she tastes the results.

Now, only I can sneak one of these onto my porch this weekend? :lol:
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:33 am
502mids well done
well done

Bill, If your near a Sears hardware store they have a good supply of Weber gear. Happy cookin'.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:44 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Grill Lovers sells a stainless steel one for $30. I know its $30... but its STAINLESS! Oh shiny Stainless Steel. Plus its got a 5 Yera warranty!

It'll look great next to your D.

I'm going to get mine next time the wife isn't looking.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:47 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hey, thank's for all the great replies guy's.

I'll be hunting down those chimney starter's today.

Z- thank's for the offer for the help, I 'll be picking your brain, I'm sure.

GS, I already had Z's seasoning thread saved in a favorite's file :oops: , I guess this purchase was a bit pre-meditated, well, maybe second degree :lol: .

Thank's again fella's. Happy Grillin' / smokin'. YB2

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:49 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB2, Congrats on your new Char-Griller Smokin' Pro! Hope you'll get lots of use out of it.

Z, You Da Man in many neighborhoods across this board! In fact there's several on this board that share the title!!! :D

I came home last night with a Bandera in the back of my Jeep. It followed my home, can I keep it? It is a used one that I paid $40 for so I'm going to recondition it before firing it up. It's about 8 years old but was only used about 20 times and kept under cover. So the reconditioning is mostly cleaning and touch-up. Repainting it will make it perty again.

Have fun with the new toy YB2...

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:06 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

Hey Bob,

Congrat's on letting that Bandera "follow you home".

And keeping it, of course, would be the humane thing to do :lol:

I'm sure you'll have her looking and cooking great in no time :lol: Enjoy ! YB2

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:13 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

You might have already done this... but if not. I picked up the cover made for the Char-Griller last night on my way home ($20 @ Lowes). I got up this morning and decided to put it on (since I'm not going to use the grill over the weekend... rented a towable for the big party I'm cooking for this weekend) what a great cover for 20 bucks. Custom cut-outs for the shelves and stack... Velcro expansion for the side fire-box. $20 well spent to protect the grill.

Next

Return to General Discussion