Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Smoker and books

Smoker and books

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sun May 14, 2006 10:27 pm

Steven,

I'm 70 and just starting to learn how to grill. Got a gas grill three weeks ago that also can be used for smoking. I didn't so very well with that. Too much messing around changing set up.

I got a big green egg this last Mon. and bought your book HOW TO GRILL. I also have your DVD. I feel that I might still be a decent BBQer.

The book is just excelent. I can't wait to try the next meal. I'm making rubs and marinades and really enjoying it.

The ribs and wings last night were wonderfull.

Please,how about a book just for smokers?
Thanks again for your geat books.

Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 am
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

How's that big green egg work for you? I have been wondering if that would be an acceptable smoker for me here at the apartment complex I live in. It looks to be small enough to fit in. The big barrel of a smoker I want would not go over so well with the landlord folks :)

Post Tue May 16, 2006 3:04 pm
Griffin well done
well done

bbqbeginner wrote:
Please,how about a book just for smokers?

yeah, how about it? That would be great!

Post Tue May 16, 2006 8:22 pm

I have only been using the egg for a wek. I'm a begginer and might not have too much credit with the pro's but with the help of HTG and the egg, I have had several great dinners, (That's my opinion).

I have the large one and it's really not that big. It is very heavy though.

Any meat I have done has ben very jucy and wonderfull.

Hope this helps.

Post Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 am
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

Hmm. I think I am going to have to go find me a big green egg! Anybody know where they can be purchased? I've only ever seen them in the books. They're mythical to me....!

Post Wed May 17, 2006 9:52 am
fnnm358 well done
well done

go to this site and enter your zip code and see if a dealer near you can be had
http://www.biggreenegg.com/dealers.htm

Hope this helps
Kettle Grill
Brinkmann Grill King

Ed

Post Wed May 17, 2006 1:35 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

hah! Thanks for that link. There's one like a mile away. I could walk my big green egg back here. If I get it, I wonder what I should name it....big green egg sounds like it cries for a renaming.

Post Wed May 17, 2006 2:58 pm
kl8ton rare
rare

I would also like to see a book on smokers....that would be fantastic. I always look for a way to smoke any recipe in the other books.
Clayton

Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:30 am
Steve D medium
medium

Be sure to check with your local dealer and find out if they have an Eggstravaganza sometime during the year. They have one here in Atlanta - BGE supplies new eggs for the participants to cook on then sells them off at a pretty decent discount since they've become 'used'. I checked into it here and you have to reserve an egg to pick up after the cook in advance...

Steve D

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:35 pm
kovach rare
rare

This is highly regarded as the 'bible' of smoking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155832 ... e&n=283155

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:45 pm
FireDrake medium
medium

BBQMonkey wrote:
How's that big green egg work for you? I have been wondering if that would be an acceptable smoker for me here at the apartment complex I live in. It looks to be small enough to fit in. The big barrel of a smoker I want would not go over so well with the landlord folks :)

They're definitely a high quality rig that can be used at a competition level. The size leaves much to be desired but they require conservative amounts of fuel (lump charcoal) to run. The insulative qualities are a plus, particularly when you're in tight quarters where the prospect of fires and burning people/things is greater. Not to say they can't burn things, start a fire, or that you can just walk away from them for periods of time, but they are a step above most BBQ's in the respect.
FireDrake

Good Food Good Meat Good God Let's Eat

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board kovach! :D

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:57 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board kovach! :)

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:50 pm
JasonZ raw
raw

This is my first post on this website, so it's only fair that it's about a product I love ...

I've had a medium size BGE for about 5 years, including 2 years when I lived in the UK (not much BBQ there!!). Best cooking investment I've ever made. Frugal on charcoal and easy to control ... in addition to Steve's books and this website, BGE's website has some excellent recipes and discussions.

In the UK, I used it to grill (and occasionally BBQ) beef, lamb (had a sheep farm 5 minutes down the road, so could always get fresh) and fish. Lived in SE Kent (the little corner that's closest to France). The pub just down the road (built in 1278!!) would rotisserie grill whole hogs and various parts on Sundays, with outstanding beer, so I left hog to them ...

Used it briefly when I lived in Manhattan (17th floor deck) until someone told me it was illegal to charcoal grill on the island (air quality law) -- didn't think the NYC police would use their helicopters to scout out BGE's, but didn't want to find out, so that was the end of my grilling until I moved out of the city ... :(

I've never used it as a smoker, but the BGE website has good discussions on that ... as well as selling bulk supplies of aromatic wood.

One other site you might want to check out is (the competition!!) GrillDome, which also make a BGE-like kamado cooker and also sells supplies, including lump charcoal and aromatic woods and even grape vines ...

Happy grillling!!

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board JasonZ! :D

Next

Return to Testimonials