Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Temperature gauge placement.

Temperature gauge placement.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:25 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I just bought 2 temp gauges to install on my smoker. The temp gauge up high in the door read quite a bit different then the grate temp. So I was planning on putting one over each grate in the door. I was thinking 1"-2" above the grate and about six inches in from the edge of the door. Does that sound about right? I figured I would get a good idea of temp. acroos the cooking surface that way.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:22 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like a plan. Just remember to keep the meat back from the end of the probe.

I have a NB Hondo and installed one in the end opposite the firebox at grate height and one in the middle of the door also at grate height. I just left the factory probe where it was.

I also just picked up a set of the racks like Z showed us at Bed, Bath and Beyond for 10 bucks! And these are non stick(we'll see)

Great way to smoke large quantities of bird parts, ribs or sausage.
Make use of a spray bottle to baste and they should help to keep your door open as little as possible to minimize heat loss.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:02 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Your plan sounds like a good one. I really don't want to invest any more in the smoker I'm using now, so I put an oven temp. on the grate, ran a few test burns to get the temp at the grill reading. When I got to the temp I wanted after a few times and knew where the cheapo guage on the hood was going to be, I took a Red "Sharpie" pen and marked the hood guage where 225( at the grate) was, that way I know where the temps are without opening the hood.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:53 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I have been using an oven thermometer on the grate up to this point. I have the time and energy to tune the smoker so I'm trying to get it dialed in before the race car starts taking more time.

Return to General Discussion