Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Duck, Duck....Goose?

Duck, Duck....Goose?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:40 am
AKGriller rare
rare

Talked a buddy of mine out of some ducks he shot last fall, wondering if anyone out there had a favorite style(I want to smoke them for sure). I have smoked them with a sage based dry rub before with success. Tried for one of his geese...maybe later. :?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

AK fist off I've got to tell you to keep after you buddy for that goose. Goose breast is one of my all time favories. A skinned goose breast marinated in italian dressing, and lightly smoked will taste almost like steak. Just wondrful. Duck can be hit or miss depending on the type and the preparation, Preperation being not only the way the meat is butcherd but also how you prep it. I've got a bunch of tricks up my sleeve for gamebirds. If you can give me a better idea of what you've got I'll throw a few your way.
What will give me a better idea: Type of bird (this is more important than you'd think, type = what they were eatin = distinctive tastes), dressed or whole, skinned or not.
Regardless You're in for good eats!

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:09 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Name your pleasure AK and I'll send you the recipe.

Grilled Duck w/ Red Currant Sauce
Smoked Fermented Black Bean Duck
Szechuan Smoked Duck
BBQ'ed Duck in White Wine Marinade
Honey Glazed BBQ'ed Duck
Smoked Hawaiian Honeyed Wild Duck

I like the white wine marinade, but I haven't tried them all yet. My brother inlaw hunts so I always have access to fresh game. I used to, but I don't have time anymore.

RichD

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:37 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

You may also enjoy the recipe featured on the homepage, though you'd have to adapt it some for smoked duck.

If you'd like something simple, I always enjoy just salt and pepper, lemons in the cavity, and then brushing with a high quality balsamic vinegar at the end.

Duck is a favorite of mine, and I look forward to reading about which preparation you choose!

Info

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:09 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a recipe I posted a while back on smoked Chinese Duck:
I've revised a Chinese method to cooking a whole Duck. The Chinese duck is steamed first, and then it's roasted until it's crispy. You can do the same thing on the grill or in a smoker. First smoke the duck on low temp with a water pan inside the smoker, then remove the water pan and turn up the heat until the skin is nice and crispy. The rational behind steaming the duck is to melt as much of the fat as possible while keeping the meat nice and moist.
Here is the recipe:
1 whole duck
1 tbs Chinese five-spice powder
For the Cavity-fresh ginger, scallions, orange peel, half an onion, 3 garlic cloves
1/2-cup Orange Marmalade (the kind with the orange peel included)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Trim the excess fat from the neck and body. Rinse the duck, inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Make the rub by combine the Chinese five-spice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the duck, inside and out. Stuff the duck cavity with the: the ginger, garlic, scallions, onion, and orange peel. Fold the wing tips back under the duck and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Poke the duck all over with a fork, piercing the skin but not the meat. This will allow the fat to escape.
Smoke the duck with a full water pan directly below the bird for about 2 hours at 225-250 degrees. Meanwhile prepare the glaze as follow: in a saucepan combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, a dash of the Chinese five-spice, and the orange marmalade. You can also add some minced ginger and garlic to the glaze if you prefer. Heat the mixture until it pulls together.
After 2 hours of smoking (and steaming the duck), remove the water pan and turn up the heat to 350 degrees. Apply the glaze during the last half hour of cooking. If you apply the glaze too soon, the sugar will burn the skin. Roast the duck until the skin is nice and crisp and the meat to your preferred doneness.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:54 pm
AKGriller rare
rare

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. The ducks are dressed mallards, shot in central Minnesota swamp/bean field areas. Rich D I would like to try the smoked fermented black bean duck if i could. I have three, so maybe I'll try a couple of things.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:39 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those birds should have a great taste. Mallards are the NY strip of the duck world. You can't go wrong. Birds like teal and Woodies are the filet. The fish eaters, which some people like, are more like venison chuck roast. Gamey and tough.
Regardless you've got some good birds on your hands. Like Z mentions the key to gamebirds is the fat. If the color is dark almost orange they will be stronger more gamey birds. Personally I like this taste but some people don't. Lighter fat is more mild. Around my house 80 percent of the time I skin my birds. The wife likes the milder flavor. As a result I have to add fat (game is very lean) by adding an oil marinade or wrap the birds in baccon.
Since you've got a bunch of great ideas already I'll just wish you good luck. If you're looking for more ideas just let me know.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:19 am
Nukem medium-rare
medium-rare

Now we are talking about somethin I knows about! I loved smoked ducks! Usually I prepare them the way I would my favorite BBQ. Some rub, some mop sause and smoke and they are always good. I pluck or wax the birds so they look store bought cause I love the crispy duck skin. Personally, I like duck rare and pull it off the heat when it hits 150 - 55 and let it rest 10 - 15 min before carving. MMMM MMM! Now with Shovelers, scaup and ring necks I am more inclined to skin them, brine them, wrap them in bacon and be heavy handed with the smoke. (Apple wood is my prefered smoke, but I think Pecan may be edging apple out).

For Superbowl we smoked four snows with the skin on that had been brined in a mixture of Montrial Seasoning, cajun seasoning and water. We hit them with mop sause and even the most finicy of eater enjoyed them.

Heck, I love duck meat, sometimes I don't do any thing to it and just pop it on the grill with a little salt and pepper. (esp. Teal!)

I want to do a beer can duck/goose this year! You ever deep fry them? Oh man, they are good! Or fry them like you would a chicken, then make a gravey!? I am starving now.

Nukem.
I can't eat this, there aint no meat!

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Nukem do you have any favorite recipes for quail and chuckar. Those are my bread and butter in the winter. Goose is my favorite but there's hardly a weekend that goes by that my dog and I aren't out chasing the small birds, quial especially. More often than not I just breast them for ease without the skin. But I have a frezer full and am always looking for new ideas.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:11 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Here you go.

Fermented Black Bean Marinade

1 cup water
1/4 cup dried fermented black beans, cracked
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sweet sherry
2 tablespoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
4 green onions, cut into 1/2" slices
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder

In a saucepan combine the water and black beans and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until everything is blended and dissolved.
Let cool to room temperature.
Clean the duck and place in a large non-reactive bowl or large heavy duty zip top bag. Pour marinade over duck, make sure marinade covers duck inside and out. Let marinate in fridge for 4-6 hours or overnight.
Smoke at 230-250 degrees for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, turn once during cooking about half way through cooking time and start basting with reserved marinade every 30 minutes until you reach a temp of 165 on an instant read thermometer.
To use marinade after removing the duck put it in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. This will kill any bacteria that may be there.

I haven't used this one yet so let me know how it turns out.
Enjoy!!

RichD

Return to General Discussion