Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How many racks of baby backs?

How many racks of baby backs?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:41 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow that was one of the more confusing (but highly informative) threads I've ever followed. Why didn't someone think of the n and u sooner. That makes more sense. I'm looking forward to trying some nnnnn ribs soon.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I really enjoyed this thread as well. Learned a little more about volume cooking and an alternate use for letters on the keyboard. :wink:

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:07 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

On the topic of higher volume....

One of my co-workers asked me about adding a grills above the current ones. I have some ideas using some L brackets and all thread rod. Any thoughts against adding more grill space in the cooking chamber.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I think it's a good idea as long as they are removable, and it doesn't void any warrantee you may have.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:58 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I would definetly make it so the grates are easily removable. I think the 4" hole I just cut for the new smoke stack voided any warranty I might have had :wink: I'll do some measurments this weekend and see what can be done.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You also might want to consider moving the ribs from one end of the chamber to the other occasionally. A smoker this small (I have a NB Hondo also) Is quite a bit hotter closer to the fire box and the racks near the fire could be done an hour before the rest, (This is not always a bad thing. Get 'em gnawing and keep 'em coming)

Start the ribs a little earlier than you think. This many racks is quite a thermal load and will take time to come up to temp. Once finished they hold quite easily.

As for how often to rotate, as you switch each racks position it will pick up heat from the rack that was on the outside. At this point the inner racks are being "baked" as if in an oven. It may take 10 minutes to recover temps each time you open the door to rotate so once an hour seems more logical. than every 30 min.

Have fun!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:
On the topic of higher volume....

One of my co-workers asked me about adding a grills above the current ones. I have some ideas using some L brackets and all thread rod. Any thoughts against adding more grill space in the cooking chamber.

I use these stackable cooling racks/grates in my vertical and horizontal smoker to expand the cooking area or separate different foods. They’re also available in porcelain coated.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:21 pm
502mids well done
well done

BBQ-Z, have you used those stackable grids, or are they the ones you put out for show ? :D
They look great (great grates?) Wheredja gettum?

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve used them many...many times. I got them at Target for $10.99 for a set of 3 racks.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:40 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I have a bunch of those for baking.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:13 pm
miltguy rare
rare

Is the Hondo the one that Wal-Mart has.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:12 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Z-
Does that rack setup fit in the Char-griller? Is there room for two side by side in there or just the one setup? How many racks do you fit on that rack rig? Is there room enough for traditional rib racks on that rack? Why do I ask so many questions on a Monday morning?

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:26 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
As you see in the picture, you can fit three of these racks side by side, but you’ll have to remove the warming rack. As far as how many racks I can stack up, that would depends on the way I set it up and the height of the food that’s being cooked. Another word, it’s all about clearance. If you’re not using the grill original grates, then you can stack up more of these things. I’ve never used them for ribs, but I would guess each would hold 2 racks of ribs. I mainly use them for sausage and chicken parts.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:01 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Those racks would be perfect. What are the measurments on those racks? Those would be alot easier than building support brackets and trying to find grills that match the dimensions I would need.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:15 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

wlfpkrcn,
They are 13 ½ X 9 ¾ inch each. They work very well with low temp cooking (in a smoker), but I don’t think they can take high heat (in a grill). Have done the ribs yet?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion