Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Build Your Own Smoker Plans?

Build Your Own Smoker Plans?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:25 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Does anyone know of websites that have detailed plans/instructions on how to build your own smoker? I'm looking to build a metal fabricated one, not one out of brick and mortar. I've pretty much outgrown my Brinkman. It was good to use to when I was learning how to smoke. Now I want something bigger and more advanced. But, I have hard time convincing myself to spend $600+ for a smoker when I could build one for alot less. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brisket, ribs, sausage, roasts, chickens....it's all good!!

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:50 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome back Ed. Been a while.

www.angelfire.com/tx/mikejone/bbqcd.html

Many hits on building a brick smoker. This was like the ONLY metal one.

Looks like his name is Mike Jones (AirFoil??) except this one's in Texas.

If you order it let us know how it looks. I've been thinking about making something larger also (smoker that is) :?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:07 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:37 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I had a softcover book some time ago which actually instructed building a smoker from an old refrigerator. I can't remember the name of it right now and I'll see if I can dig it up. Had some interesting stuff in it.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:36 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.how-to-plans.com/bbq_smoker_plans.html

This may be a repeat,

www.smokehouseplan.com/

And this one uses the old fridge
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:19 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I have a plan for a smoker made from a whiskey barrel, and so want to build it. The main problem is the expense of getting a whiskey barrel from Lynchburg, TN to Casa Grande, AZ. They stated the freight charges would be humongous, and I am on a limited income. The plan is in an old set of Popular Mechanics Encyclopedias I have.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:46 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How about a wine barrel. You are closer to wine country than whiskey country. And once the barrel gets sooted up I don't think it matters what it started out life as.

Check with your local historical society and see if there is a cooper in your area. He could make you one to order.

Our local Lowes sometimes has whole and half whiskey barrels for use as planters.

Good Luck!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 am
Big Belly rare
rare

http://www.compuvices.com/plans.html

Here is one using two different sized propane tanks

http://www.exit201.com/cyclops/cyclops.shtml

Here is a one beast.

http://web.dbtech.net/~johnson/cookers/wheredoi.html

Here is a nice topic about where to place the axle if you are building a mobile unit.

http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/default.jsp

Here is one that may not interest you, but may serve as a good starting point.
~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Big Belly
"Let's chew the fat!"

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:02 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for all the suggestions. I happened to run across one that uses 2 55-gallon barrels. It looks pretty simple, and I can get some barrels free (got to love that price!!) If anyone is interested, it's located at:

http://mikesell.net/smoker/

He calls it the "Big Smokey". If anyone takes the time to look at it, I would appreciate some comments on what you think.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:50 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow- both the Big Smokey and Big Baby designs look excellent. I think I'll keep them in mind when it's time for me to build one.

One thing- I noticed on the original Big Smokey design he only had one vent damper from the firebox to the smoke chamber. He later modified it to two, and I'd recommend that as well. It will heat unevenly otherwise.

Another thing I've seen done to the smoking chamber is add a baffle to even out the heat distribution. This is a flat piece of sheet metal full of holes that sits about 4-6 inches above the two damper collars. It acts to spread the smoke throughout the entire chamber and acts to minimize hot and cold spots.

It's purely optional, though, and I find that it can get pretty ugly after a while with burnt drippings. You could most likely leave it out.

I always use a baffle in cold smokers (the old fridge we use for sausages) because it's more important to have good smoke distribution in these as the smoke rarely rises above 100F. With a hot smoker, it isn't a big problem as the heat acts to cook the food as well as smoke it.

A good book to get for cold smokers is called [i]The Canning, Curing, Freezing and Smoking of Meat, Fish and Game[/i, by Wilbur F. Eastman, Jr.]. It's a classic, and it might give you a few more pointers.

kfinch74 raw
raw

I was watching Good Eats and Alton Brown made a smoker using two terra cota planters. One that was tall and the other more round shape. In the base of the tall one he placed an electric hot stove and ran the cord through the drain hole . He set it up on wood blocks. He then set the wood chunks in what looked like a pie pan and the place a grate above the pie pan. He then placed the other planter upside down on top of the other planter and stuck a replacement grill thermometer in its drain hole. He said the whole project costed around $40. Have not tried this but it did look interesting. Has anyone tried this?
Kenneth W Finch

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have not tried it, but I was tempted to. I tivo’ed that show and watched it carefully few times. It’s funny how Alton did not have any grease or food drippings in that thing. He did not even have a drip pan. The butt was directly above the wood chunks, and they would’ve been soaked in grease and never smoldered.So where did all that miss go? The cooker was totally clean and dry when he was done. We all know how much stuff melts off of the pork shoulder, but I sure did not see any inside that invention. If I ever built one, It will sure have a place for a drip pan.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:35 am
kfinch74 raw
raw

That's a good point about it not have a grease trap. IF you do make this post whether or not it is successful.
Kenneth W Finch

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:06 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

MReynolds wrote:
I had a softcover book some time ago which actually instructed building a smoker from an old refrigerator. I can't remember the name of it right now and I'll see if I can dig it up. Had some interesting stuff in it.

Finally got around to digging this book out. Here's the info.

Home Book of Smoke Cooking Meat, Fish & Game by Jack & Hull, Raymond Sleight
ISBN: 0811721957

It's available from Amazon if any are interested.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion