Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smokin the Chuck Roast

Smokin the Chuck Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:46 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

The food store had chuck roast on sale last Friday. So I picked up a roast that was a llittle over 3 1/2 lbs. When I got it home I spread a liberal amount of a beef based rub on it and let it sit.
Saturday morning I fired up the smoker and brought my temp up to aprx. 250. Put the roast on at 11:30 and let smoke for 2 1/2 hours while I made my mop (also beef based). Started basting every hour after that. In between I made a potato casserole. Took it of at about 6:15 when the internal temp read 173 (my instant read said it was 180). I wasn't looking to shred it so this was perfect for slicing.
Man the flavor it had from the rub and mop along with a short hit of mesquite was outstanding. Can't wait to use this combo on a brisket.
Sorry I don't have pics, but since it rained all day and never gave me enough of a break to get the camera out.
It's a whole lot of fun maintianing temps in cool, rainy weather, but the food was excellent.

RichD

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:16 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

"Smokin' the Chuck Roast"? 8)

Is that what you kids are calling it now?!

Haven't tried this cut on the grill yet. Gotta couple of smaller ones in the freezer though.

Sounds like a plan.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Use your Jaccard when you do. It'll help alot.
Chuck roast wasn't my favorite experiment but it wasn't a failure either.
I'd do it again.

Rich, if you loved the chuck, you'll flip for the "better cuts"!

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Got one in the fridge that we made using "Z's" recipe that we'll be eating this week! :D

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bob you'll like it. Are you trying the Chili sauce with it? Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to, and no I didn't forget. I still have all the ingredients and look forward to next time. This weekend for me has 2 Sirloin Tip Roasts and a Turkey in store for me and my Chargriller!

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:07 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Ooooh Yea!, We had the chuck roast for dinner last night. Due to many storms in the area lately, we have been without power. So I used the smoker to reheat the roast along with some corn on-the-cob, and the camp stove to warm the chili sauce. I had everyone try the meat without the sauce first and we all agree, it was awesome! Then we tasted it with the sauce and the flavors matched quite well. Of couse, I haven't been disappointed with any of Z's recipes.

Great to hear that you're using the new Chargriller :D

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:34 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Bob,
I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:20 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I am looking forward to trying this combo on a rib roast soon. Should be awsome.
Not sure what this weekend will bring. I want to do a turkey sometime soon, but I'd rather do a fresh one instead of thawing out a frozen one.
Maybe I'll do some country style ribs. I have a few marinades I want to try that they would be perfect for.

RichD

Return to General Discussion