Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First attempt at a sirloin tip roast

First attempt at a sirloin tip roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:00 am
messickzr rare
rare

Well, I finally decided to try to grill a roast on the grill and as I was looking through my freezer I noticed a sirloin tip roast. That really sounded pretty good! So I let it thaw overnight Thursday and during the day on Friday in the fridge. I wiped the roast down with olive oil and then rubbed with a combination of seasoned salt, garlic, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a little bit of essence of Emeril. I preheated the grill (Weber Genesis) to high and got it good and hot. This is my first attempt at indirect grilling on my Genesis so I was a little worried about the outcome. I left the grill on high and "seared" each side of the roast for 2-3 minutes before shutting off the center burner and turning the front and rear to low. With both of those burners on low the temp on the thermometer was reading between 340 and 350 until I added the veggies. Then I had to turn it up a little bit in order to maintain a temp of 350. Not sure why 350 was my target, but it sounded like a good temp to grill at. I let it cook for about 1 hour then I basted with a mop sauce consisting of beer, vinegar, and some of the rub. When the roast was at 125 I set it in an aluminum pan with some potatoes and onions. I poured some of the mop over the top of the roast and put some water in the pan and covered the whole thing with some aluminum foil and let cook for an additional 30-40 minutes. This was almost too much for the roast, it was very tender, but almost dry. It wasn't dry yet, but it was close. The onions and potatoes were very good! They absorbed a lot of flavor from the roast.

Since there wasn't much going on in the forum, I thought I would share.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

messickzr,
Sirloin Tip roast comes from the same area as the Tri-Tip roast (Bottom Sirloin). The two cuts are very similar and one contains a piece of the other. In fact, one is often substituted for the other. Another word, they’re cooked the same way. As you found out, if you take them beyond the medium-rare mark, they will be tough and dry. Here is a link to help you with the process:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html
The way you started cooking the roast was the correct way. I would’ve omitted the last process and just let it finish on indirect heat until it reached medium-rare stage.
It was an excellent first attempt though.
I hope this help on your next attempt.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:48 am
joeunc raw
raw

I visit that Weber Bullet page often and that is where i got the idea to do the sitrloin tip also..The local grocery had them on sale for 1.30/lb.

I got 2 3lb sirloin tip roasts ,,rubbed them down the night before with a very good rub from
http://texasbbqrub.com

Next morning 10am,,set up the Weber Charcoal Platunum to do some smoking.
Used the Minion method with coals pushed way over to one side and the roasts on the opposite site. Used about 6 Cherry wood chunks for the smoke.

With my remote thermometer kept the Weber kettle btwn 220 and 245 for about 3 hours..smoke billowing out the whole time.

every 45mins I basted the roast with a mixture of:
2 sticks melted butter
8 cloves minded garlic
thyme, rosemary, sage, blacl pepper

cooked the roast s to about 145 internal temps,,then wrapped them in a foil and transferred to a cooler for 15to 20.

Meat was awesome,,,,tender, lean,,definitive pink smoke ring all around it.

I smoke all the time on my Weber 22 1/2' kettle eventhough I also have a Brinkman smoker ,,so I would be glad to hekp out or share what I do with any other Kettle guys out there.

enjoy
Joe

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:14 am
hotchef well done
well done

While I have never tried the minion method in my Platinum, I have tried smoking in it and I have had a lot of trouble in keeping a 225 degree temp. When it gets that low, it seems that it goes out and to add more coals is to have a huge temp spike. Does the minion method take care of all that?

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:23 am
joeunc raw
raw

yes it does,,,,i pile a whole weber chimney starter full of unliy coals on one side pushed way over and even up the side of the platinum my wood chunks are also mixed throughout. Then I light about 10 -15 coals and pour them over the unlit coals mixing them around. I have heard you can get 10 to 12 hours out of it..I know that not all my charcol and wood chunks burn out in 6 hours so I can see it going 10 hours.

I put a water pan over the coals if I really need to temp to say down also. The meat goes on the opposite of the grate with a drip pan under it.

Put your kelltle lid on so the top vent s are opposite the coals, thie also helps to control temps.

Usually for the lowest and slowest ,,my bottom vents are closed completely and top completely open. I do Pork Butt and Rins at about 225 to 250 and I did the sirloin at about 260

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:24 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I don't have a kettle, but I use the minion method in my horizontal all the time. It does work and I have had burns of about 8 hours before having to replenish my fuel. You'll find some threads here about it if you do a search.

RichD

Return to General Discussion