Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brining Ribs

Brining Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:41 pm
JMK

Gurus,

Anyone ever place their ribs in a brine solution overnight? What impact would it have?

Thanx

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:44 am
PaulP well done
well done

Meat that is very lean (pork chops, chciken) is brined to add moisture, which helps keep the meat from drying out during cooking. Ribs have plenty of fat, so they don't need brining. So why brine them? Add a dry rub and let it sit a while, then cook them carefully. I can guarantee that brined ribs won't taste like ribs are supposed to.

You need to understand why certain techniques are used and use them when appropriate.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:48 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Yes I agree w/ Paul though you're welcome to try it and see if you like it, it's not a cut of meat that needs it. I think often what we see is people brine a chicken or pork loin or something the first time, love it, and then want to brine everything in creation. It's easy to get excited about brining when it provides such gratifying results but don't forget our friends, marinades, rubs, bastes and butters. :) Some are more approrpiate then others for certain meats but then as Steve says, 'Grilling isn't brain surgery'. At the end of the day it's your grill/smoker and your meal.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:11 pm
JMKATZ

thanx for the input

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:18 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

JMK,

I was going to post a response that would have said the about the same as Paul. Fatty ribs don't need a brine. The question intrigued me so I did some Google searching and couldn't find any serious rib brining recipes. Most were for brining braised ribs. I would say; give it a try, and be sure and report the results of your experiment here.

Return to General Discussion