Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion finally registerd

finally registerd

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:19 pm
JGBuffs raw
raw

8) hey everybody i just regiterd here i have posted a few times as jamie, that is me. i just ahave a good time at this board and i just love to grill. i live in boulder colorado, GO Buffs! of course my favorite meal is BBQ Ribs, with German Patao salad and lots of beer. anyway i.m glad to be here. buy the way i grill on and artic 22.5 charcoal grill. i have been thinking of getting a barrel smoker like this at walmart here is the link. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... 89%3A49943 it is about what i can spend at the moment. what do you guys think? is it worth it could i modify it to be better. thanks again

jamie
Football, Grillin, & Beer Thats Why I'm Here!

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Jamie...Glad you joined us! :D

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:09 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd spend the extra money on the Char-Broil silver or the Char-Griller with the firebox.

Much more versatile.

You can cook smaller amounts on a large grill/smoker.
But you can sure overload a smaller one easier than you think.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:26 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

JGBuffs,

Funny that you just posted that message. I just ran to OSH at lunch to pick up a couple extra Charcoal Chimneys. They had that Smoker on display. My buddy met me there and we both agreed that looked like a nice smoker if you’re not going to do large amounts of food. The cooking chamber was very small and it seemed to be built out of a thin gauge steel (but then again, I’m sure it would hold the heat just fine for the size of the chamber). If you can spend a little extra and get the Char-Griller… if that’s not in your budget, go for what you can and have some fun with it. Good Luck

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:34 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Glad to see you registered.
I agree with Yard. If you can spend the extra money I would go to Home Depot and pick up the Charbroil Silver Smoker. It should be around $169. You will also want to get the New Braunfels temperature gauge for it $19.95. They should have it close by the smoker.
The link you posted shows a nice smoker, but it looks a little small and you may be disapointed in the long run.
I have the Silver Smoker and have been very happy with it. I've done up to 6 beer can chicks at a time and I know I can get 8 on there. I've done pork butts, half chickens, polynesian chicken, ribs, etc.

Either way enjoy!

RichD

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:31 am

thanks for the advise fellas. i will look into the Charbroil Silver Smoker as well. so once i get one of these smokers how many ways can i use it? i mean can i onley put coals in the fire box or can i use it like a regular grill to for hamburgers and stuff? this place is awsome! :D

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:28 pm
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Jamie, the Sliver Smoker has a grill grate and a charcoal grate in the fire box. If you aren't grilling too much you can grill in the fire box. Home Depots price at my store is $148 un assembled, $20 more for assembly. The Charbroil thremometer is $19.95 for the "Professinal" model there is a cheapie in the grill parts area so make sure you get the big one. Also I've found that if you orient it with you prime cooking temp straight up all you have to do is take a quick glance and you know if the pit is at the right temp.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Return to General Discussion