Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hello, New to Grilling looking for a Tangy BBQ taste

Hello, New to Grilling looking for a Tangy BBQ taste

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Hawk rare
rare

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this site from the reference in the book. A friend of mine who is not an avid BBQ griller had the book at is house and gave it to me since he doesn't grill. I am a beginner and have been working at BBQ all summer.

I am looking for a tangy juicy taste in BBQ. Some time back I attended a BBQ of some friends. They are pro's. They have there own BBQ business. They had the best BBQ. The Taste in their chicken, fajitas, and brisket all had this tangy juicy taste, it was the best. I have since tried to experiment and the closest thing I found to it was a marinade I experimented with. I marinaded the meat in vinegar and italian dressing.

It wasn't the same taste but it was very close. Does anybody out there have any idea what this recipe could be? Thanks in advance.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:04 pm

I am not sure what the sauce would be since everyone seems to describe the unique taste of sauces in different ways. However since you have Steven's book there are numerous receipes for excellent sauces in the books and the way I can about my favorite was to make a different sauce each time I grilled or smoked something and I finally came across one that was very close to what I was looking for and then I added some ingredients to get the final result that I was looking for.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:06 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Sorry - I forgot to log in

I am not sure what the sauce would be since everyone seems to describe the unique taste of sauces in different ways. However since you have Steven's book there are numerous receipes for excellent sauces in the books and the way I can about my favorite was to make a different sauce each time I grilled or smoked something and I finally came across one that was very close to what I was looking for and then I added some ingredients to get the final result that I was looking for.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:32 am

I have not made a BBQ sauce to date but my favorite store bought variety would hands down be the Dinosaur variety. I also like to mix equal parts of the regular Dinosaur sauce with the Dinosaur Wango Tango sauce. :D Deelicious :D
:D Spoon_Gouge :D

Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:17 pm
egkor rare
rare

Hawk,

Since they are your friends, why not ask them what their rub or marinade is.

When you find out, let us know, too. :-)

-egkor

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:20 am
Longmill

Wondering if that tangy flavor is a version of Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce?? Sorta sounds like it from your brief description. It's vinegar based and doesn't use tomato products. Can you describe the appearance of the sauce? That may help give some more clues to the type sauce. And, post the recipe that you've come up with so far. Maybe someone can make suggestions for additional ingredients or ratios of ingredients. You may need to add/substract sugar, red pepper flakes or crushed red pepper for example.

Longmill

Return to General Discussion