Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How many racks of baby backs?

How many racks of baby backs?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

wlfpkrcn that's a good question and I thought that cleaver how you illustrated it (took me a sec to figure). I like it. But sadly I don't know either. :(

So I'll vote for #3 and see how I do :D

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:44 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Let's add to the confusion if I need to stack more than 2 high

1-( ) ( etc... or 2- ) ( ) Or ) ) ) The first paranthesis being the bottom rack

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:03 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I believe on the show I was watching last night the BBQ joint had multiple racks stacked like this ( ( ( ( ( and simply rotated them several times duriong the smoking process.
They also finished them off on a grill with a dry rub or a dry rub w/ BBQ sauce.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Also, have you considered a rib rack? They'll let you stand more up on end that you can lay flat.

Here are a few other meathods as well: CLICK LINK then click on "Increasing Rib Cooking Capacity" or scroll to the bottom.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I do owna rib rack. It doesn't seem to work well with full length racks. If I cut the racks in half it works great. I guess I can weld a rib rack that would work better for full lengths and spare ribs

BBcue-z
The Oaklahoma Joe smoke is the same as the NB (Hondo?). Here is a link to it. I heard the factory flooded and now someone else is making the smokers.
http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=5839481

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm going to vote for the (((( method, just to add to the confustion I'll add that it would seem that (((( is different from )))). I'm voting in favor of curve up, so the fat rolls off and doesn't create a bowl to collect.
I haven't tried it yet but I see this method as a great way to do a bunch of ribs. Even with rib racks you can only fit so many due to the lengths. This is the skyscraper rib design. Pile'em high!

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:05 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

((((( is the correct method.

If you are using a Weber rib rack, those are mostly intended for half racks of ribs.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:24 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Airfoils,

So the correct way is for the ribs to be placed like this "u" not "n" as grand scale had recommended

Sorry but all the ((( and ))) are getting me confused

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:31 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Not to be disagreeable, but I'm voting for the "n". :D

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:18 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

wlfpkrcn,
Sorry about the late response, but I was on a business trip and just got back.
I would definitely go with option #3 )), or n (curve up). You would do this for 2 reasons:
1- you’ll have more stable stack, putting curve against another curve surface )( will make them slid off of each others.
2- you don’t want to put two moist surfaces against each other (front to front), because you’ll end up with saggy ribs. Wet to dry (back to front) is the best way to go. And curve up will cause the fat to roll off of them basting the racks below.
As far as how high to stack them, that’ll depends on how much you’re cooking and how wide your smoker is. You don’t want to stack up too high, because some racks will take a long time to reach the top (if you’re rotating every hour), and that would limit the exposure to smoke and heat to some of the racks. It looks like you have a nice and wide smoker, and if you’re cooking 15 racks; you should be able to fit 4-5 stacks on it.
Rich D is correct about warming up the ribs on a direct grill. High volume restaurants cook their ribs in advance and heat them up to order. They apply wet rub or wet sauce according to the customers’ preference. If you cook ahead, you could use this method to warm up the ribs.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:43 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:
Airfoils,

So the correct way is for the ribs to be placed like this "u" not "n" as grand scale had recommended

Sorry but all the ((( and ))) are getting me confused

No, I was differentiating between (( and ( ) or ) (. I prefer using a rack myself and spray them with apple juice and a baste. Cover in foil last couple hours etc etc. Emeril does it this way: (((

As for n vs u, I haven't been a user of this method but it would seem to me a u would make more sense to retain drippings to baste with while cooking while an n configuration would let all the juice run off and if thats the case why use this method at all then? But I guess an n would baste ok also and could drain. Tryem both I guess. I'm stickin with the spray bottle and rack for now, you guys duke it out over this one :P .
Last edited by Airfoils on Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Airfoil,
That is true. Emeril cooks them curve down because he cooks them on a grill (direct heat) not in a smoker. If you were cooking them on a grill, you’d want the meat side down, because:
1. The meat side is thicker and takes longer to cook
2. The bone side would burn a lot faster and give the ribs a bitter taste
3. Cooking the meat side down on a grill would give it a nice crust
Cooking the ribs in a smoker in “n” shape or “u” shape still essentially gives you a back to front effect (wet to dry). However, the low and slow cooking causes the fat to pool in the “u” shape scenario.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:55 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I guess "n" is the way to go. Normally I put a dry rub on the night before and spray with apple juice while cooking. Will I need the apple juice since the ribs will become self basting? If I rotate the stack every hour will there be an issue with soggy ribs, since the rib will only spend 2 hours exposed the heat and smoke and the rest basting in drippings. I also usually add sauce the last 30-45 minutes. Will that work with the stacking? The experience on this board is amazing. I'm sure I am worrying about nothing, but I have to ask.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

wlfpkrcn,
If you have a stack of 3-4 racks, you won’t have to worry about the ribs being soggy. Besides, the fat is going to drip down and only stay on the ribs a short while. This is a guaranteed way to produce tender and juicy ribs. But if you still worried, then rotate every 30 minutes. You will extend the cooking time in this case, but you’ll definitely have good ribs. Don’t worry, relax and enjoy the cook out. As far as mop or spray, continue to use that every time you rotate. If you like to sauce your ribs during the last stage of cooking, this method has no effect on that. Continue doing thing as usual, the only new thing you’ll be doing is rotating the ribs.
Please let us know how it turned out.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:25 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I will definetly let everyone know how it turns out. I'm sure there will be a digital camera or two. I will try to get some pics of the modifications to the smoker and ribs cooking posted. Thanks again for all the great advise. You guys are awesome!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion