Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ w/ Bobby Flay

BBQ w/ Bobby Flay

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:59 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Just a reminder to all. Bobby Flay's new BBQ show starts tonight on the Food Network at 9PM.
It will be interesting to see how it works out. I believe he is going to Miami and Memphis on tonights shows.
Did anyone catch Al Rokers show and his attempt at winning the rib blue ribbon at the Memphis in May BBQ Competition?

RichD

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just picked up Flays new book at Sam's this wkend. Let you know what I think after I've gone thru it a bit.

Boy Gets Grill is the title.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:48 pm
steede rare
rare

I saw Roker's Smokers last night too. It was pretty entertaining. Too bad they finished 87th out of 107. Oh well, it looks like they had a lot of fun, and afterall that's what it's all about, besides I'm sure the competition in Memphis is nothing to snooze at, and Roker's team was pretty much doing competition BBQ for the first time.

I'm not a fan of Bobby "Mr. Personality" Flay, but I will watch his show tonight nonetheless.

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:54 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

If that were my first time competing in a competition like the Memphis in May I would be very happy with 87th out of 107 teams.

RichD

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:36 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Make sure to catch Good Eats tonight also. Alton Brown talks steaks and ribs!

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:46 pm
steede rare
rare

If that were my first time competing in a competition like the Memphis in May I would be very happy with 87th out of 107 teams.

Good point Rich. Afterall Memphis in May is the Super Bowl of BBQ competition.

[/quote]

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Yeah I saw that. Rokers smokers too. It would suck to have to bbq in the middle of a hurricane...lol. I was kind of disapointed in the smoker they use...self powered pellets seem like it take the fun out of the whole thing....but maybe im wrong on that

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:43 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I was impressed with the smoker abd it's ability to maintain a constant temperature in good conditions, but even the best equipment isn't foolproof. The rain was giving them temperature problems adn the storm the night before the competition knocked out the power so they had to restart the smoker and lost some cooking time the day of the competition.
I'm not sure how I liked the Bobby Flay show yet. I think I will give it another week to see how it works out.

RichD

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:38 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I watched it and once again Flay's lousy people skills were bubbling under the surface as always. Besides Flay, there was some good info and entertainment there. Not much substance for me really, though I've read all of Steve's books and am jaded somewhat. Still, if BBQ is your hobby, don't miss the shows., I won't as painful as it is to sit and watch Flay sometimes.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:56 am
502mids well done
well done

Did anyone see Alton Jones cook a steak right on the coals last night? Is that normal? Thanks, Stripegrill for the heads up, I'm a regular fan, but but I'm not normally home on Wednesday nights so it was good to see it.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:09 am
Airfoils well done
well done

502mids wrote:
cook a steak right on the coals Is that normal?

It's called a dirty steak and I think it's in one of Steve's books but which one fails me at the moment. Yes, it's quite good if done properly.

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:42 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Airfoils wrote:
I watched it and once again Flay's lousy people skills were bubbling under the surface as always. Besides Flay, there was some good info and entertainment there. Not much substance for me really, though I've read all of Steve's books and am jaded somewhat. Still, if BBQ is your hobby, don't miss the shows., I won't as painful as it is to sit and watch Flay sometimes.

lol.. tell us how you really feel!

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:11 pm
snnoks

Bobby flay is considered a bbq guy??He boils his ribs----turned my stomach.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:45 am
Aroberts rare
rare

Airfoils wrote:
502mids wrote:
cook a steak right on the coals Is that normal?

It's called a dirty steak and I think it's in one of Steve's books but which one fails me at the moment. Yes, it's quite good if done properly.

It's in Steven's "Beer Can Chicken" book. It's on my list of new things to try this summer...

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:51 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If you don’t want to put your steak on the coals, you can get a couple of river rocks (the smooth round type) and put them on the coals instead. Wait until the rocks are nice and hot, and then place the steak right on them. This will give you the same effect and without having to worry about ashes. You can easily find these rocks at any garden store.

Next

Return to General Discussion