Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Curse the bbq bible

Curse the bbq bible

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:24 pm
johann well done
well done

Last summer I was living in a house that resemenbled the fight club house. Since it didn't have much in the way of a usable kitchen, I bought a weber kettle and used that all summer. Fun times!
Then this summer for my birthday my aunt who runs a kitchen and is full on employed in the food industry, purchased the bbq bible for me, since I'm always smelling of smoke.
Good times!
Unfortunatly now I"m training for a body building contest and really can't eat that much in the way of marinades and souces; here comes the curse.
I couldn't help myself and have been following recipes out of the book for friends birthday party dinners etc etc, and getting quite involved with it.
Its a shame the closest I get after a full day of cooking and preparing souces from the book is just smelling it!
Everyone else says its good though!
Thanks steve!
and curse you at the same time!

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:06 am
MrEcted1 well done
well done

Wow, that's rough.

Now it's time to get a book that focuses on healthy grilling. Fortunately, healthy grilling can taste good too!

Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:07 am
johann well done
well done

Oh I definatly eat healthy. I think everythign that I've had to have cooked for my diet comes off the grill, its just the really aromatic stuff that I put together that I'm missing.
Sweet potatoes, yams, turkey, sirloin and chicken all come off the gril. And since I eat those everyday, I'm constantly out there. Fortuantly I only get to eat little bits of it so I can cook ahead 3-4 days and be ok.
3 more weeks!

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:16 am
chrish well done
well done

hears alittle trick you can try, if your doing a steak place a few slices of becan on top or next time you do a brisket save some of the fat and freeze it for a later time doing steaks and stuff.

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:13 pm

I sure hope you meant to type in sauce instead of souce. and another point is that I think you wanted to say BACON not becan. when talking about using fat for the steaks. i just thought i would mention those liitle errors. have a good day and keep on grilling.

Now more seriously grilling is an excellent way to eat healthier because about 80% of the fat is rendered off in the cooking process. only problem with that is that fact that fat equals flavor. so to add fat we like to use proscuitto or like was aformentioned becan i mean bacon. it does add fat to the meat and also adds some flavor. if using smoked bacon please be advised that you do not have to use a smoker because the smokey flavor will be transferred into the meat.

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:13 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board chefinbalti! :D

Around here most of us are concentrating on our tongues & bellies and aren't paying to much mind to what our fingers are typing, so we have a tendancy to overlook typos while giving pictures of good BBQ the attention they are due. :wink: Most typos are probably cause by slobbering on the keyboard and shorting the tiny circuits.

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board chefinbalti! :D

Around here most of us are concentrating on our tongues & bellies and aren't paying to much mind to what our fingers are typing, so we have a tendancy to overlook typos while giving pictures of good BBQ the attention they are due. :wink: Most typos are probably cause by slobbering on the keyboard and shorting the tiny circuits.

Right on Bob.....

Bill

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:21 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

My curse is similar.... I can't eat pork... and what is the main ingredient in most prepared foods ? ? ? ? that is right, pork.

What is added to a lot of cooked beans, etc? ? ? bacon... what is bacon.... pork.

What is considered to the majority when you hear BBQ? ? ? Pork...

What is it I can't eat? ? ? ? Pork.... yes, I am the one that is cursed.....

But I do love to Q other stuff. Love them briskets now, and them there chickens too. Oh yeah, them Q'd cabbages are out of this world..... yes, I too have a couple of Steve's books.... and I do modify recipes that call for pork.

Bill

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:51 pm
JasonZ raw
raw

MrEcted1 wrote:
Wow, that's rough.

Now it's time to get a book that focuses on healthy grilling. Fortunately, healthy grilling can taste good too!

Try this:

Asian Grilling : 85 Kebabs, Skewers, Satays And Other Asian-Inspired Recipes for Your Barbecue
by Yu, Su-Mei

Su-Mei runs Saffron, the oldest and best Thai restaurant in San Diego ... and the grill and BBQ recipes in this book are wonderful ...
Full Description & Buy

Regards,

JasonZ

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:03 pm
JasonZ raw
raw

Actually, MrGrumpy, I'm in the same boat ... no pork or hog products ... but between beef, lamb, fish and veg ... I don't really feel deprived -- far from it. Also, courtesy of Philadelphia's Italian Market, I've been able to have venison, ostrich, bison, alligator ....

Nope, don't miss hog at all! :lol:

Regards,

JasonZ

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:53 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

JasonZ wrote:
Actually, MrGrumpy, I'm in the same boat ... no pork or hog products ... but between beef, lamb, fish and veg ... I don't really feel deprived -- far from it. Also, courtesy of Philadelphia's Italian Market, I've been able to have venison, ostrich, bison, alligator ....

Nope, don't miss hog at all! :lol:

Regards,

JasonZ

What does the pork do for you??? It gives me migraine headaches.....

Bill

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 am
JasonZ raw
raw

For me, it's religious and ethical reasons ... I have a daughter (ballerina) who has been a vegetarian since she was 9 ... and other family members who, for other reasons, won't eat hog, so I just find it easier to do without when I'm cooking for them.

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:17 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Glad to hear it isn't anything physical like me.... I found out another worker that works the same place I do is also allergic to pork. I breaks out when he eats it.... Now I wonder how many others are really allergic to it....

Bill

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:29 pm
kny raw
raw

:shock: [color=darkblue]the way i see it anything on the grill is good you dont eat pork fish is an excellent substitute you know smoke some salmon grill just about any kind of whitefish with some veggie kabobs and you wont feel all large afterwards either as for the baked beans they taste just fine without the bacon and if you are that hooked on the taste of bacon in the beans theres always those imitation baco bits
KNY

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board kny! :D

Next

Return to Testimonials