Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Need help - barbecuing briskets living in an apartment

Need help - barbecuing briskets living in an apartment

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Hi, been a while since I posted here (before this forum was installed, anyway). I have been *ahem* "volunteered" to do a couple of briskets for a Saturday party. The problem is, when I did them last, I was living in a house with a fenced yard, allowing me to do the rub, marinate, and then smoke them for abou 10-14 hours very slowly, which I've found gives methe best results. I'm now in an apartment, and don't have this luxury.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to tackle this? I think the party is happening in the afternoon. The possible solutions I thought of are:

1) Move a gas grill into my apartment next to a window and smoke overnight (potentially dangerous, and smoky)
2) Start cooking at about 2AM on Saturday and stay next to the grill all day (no thanks)
3) Start the cooking process on Friday, smoke heaily for a number of hours, remove, wrap, refrigerate, and finish the process on Saturday.

Option 3 seems like the most convenient for me, but don't know if it's possible. Anyone have any experience with this start-stop-start method of barbecuing, or have any suggestions for apartment barbecue?

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:27 am
smokyblues well done
well done

This is why there are BBQ teams; shifts. I think your third way would be your best but you run the risk of drying it out. You can also switch between the grill\smoker and oven in your situation. You don't have to carve up the brisket at the party so just cook the briskets a day or two in advance and carve them the morning of the party and put them in the oven in a throw foil basket at around 225 and let them cook a little more. Please don't try your first idea. You might have the fire dept. and your land lord over pretty quick
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:50 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

muranternet, welcome back to the board! It's been toooo long.

I'm still thinking more along the line of teams. I think you need to "phone a friend" on this one Regis. Find a friend that has the equipment to handle a couple of briskets and take your own fuel (gas or charcoal) along with some refreshments and borrow their gear to cook on. They might even help you with the cook. :wink: After all what are friends for? Briskets and butts don't need a lot of attention. I check mine every hour. But with the fat they contain, they can cook though the night without much fuss. On a gas smoker, if you use large wood chunks you will only have to reload the wood once through the night. When they are done double-wrap them in foil, then in towels and place them in an empty ice chest (insulated cooler) and stuff the rest of the empty air-space with crumpled newspaper. Your briskets will keep warm for the party! :D

Hope this helps.

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

muranternet,
When I was in a similar situation, this is what I did:
I heavily smoked the meat at low temp (225-250) for as long I could stay awake. And then I moved the meat to an oven set at the same temp and let go for as long it took to reach the right temp, or until I woke up the next day and moved back to the smoker. This way I had continuous temp of 225-250, and I didn’t have monitor the grill/meat constantly. The smoke flavor was all there due to heavy smoking sessions. This may give you another option to think about. Whatever you decide on, please do not use the grill indoor option.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:45 am

Wanted to report: I used the smoke the night before and then oven overnight method. Blew a bag of charcoal and a bag of hickory chips, smoked 2 briskets (about 4 lbs. each) indirectly in aluminum pans for about 4 hours or so, fat side up, then covered and moved into a 200 degree oven, where they stayed for about 10 more hours. They came out excellent, managed to avoid the creosote bitterness I was afraid of by using so much smoke in such a short period of time. I did wind up with a lot more moisture in the pan because of the long covered cycle, but that's not a big deal. Thanks for everyone's advice! (Dry rub was kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, dark brown sugar, dry mustard, cayenne, in amounts I didn't measure.)

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:06 pm
AKGriller rare
rare

Too late for last weekend, but I smoked a corned beef brisket that turned out great over St.Patties Day this year. I used the pepper corns that came with it as well as some paprika, cumin, ground sage. crushed red pepper, and a pinch of cinnimon for the rub. Smoked uncovered for half the time and foil wrapped for the last half. Let sit for 30 to 45 minutes to soak the juices back up. Made me seem like a guru to the party guests, with hardly any work. :wink:

Return to General Discussion