Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best BBQ in Texas

Best BBQ in Texas

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:34 pm

The best BBQ in Texas is at Brian's BBQ in Clute Texas

Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board pitmeister! :D

Possibly another Texan?

Post Sun May 21, 2006 4:23 pm
raytech raw
raw

Obviously you have nevr been to Lockhart Texas!

Post Mon May 22, 2006 8:35 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board raytech! :D

I've been to Smitty's & Kruez' markets a couple of times. What is your favorite place in Lockhart?

Post Mon May 22, 2006 7:16 pm
raytech raw
raw

Thanks BBQ Bob.
Like they say, "There are no bad BBQ places, just some better than others!"

In Lockhart I like to go to Kruez but they are all pretty good. Temple TX has one or two good ones as well as Taylor Tx.

Raytech

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:09 pm
DaHorns medium
medium

Anyone been to Cooper's in Llano? That place is definitly my favorite with Kreuz in Lockhart being a close 2nd!

Hook 'Em

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board DaHorns! :D

I've eaten in Lockhart a couple of time but plan on making a trek to Llano someday. 8)

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:20 pm
DaHorns medium
medium

Bob-BQN wrote:
Welcome to the board DaHorns! :D

I've eaten in Lockhart a couple of time but plan on making a trek to Llano someday. 8)

Thank you very much for the welcome. As for the trek, you will no be dissappointed, I promise. I recommend the pork chops or cabritto......

Hook 'Em

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:23 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard nothing but good about Cooper's so I'll be sure to sample a wide variety including your suggestions when we go.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:47 am
KOB raw
raw

Just my input for Texas Q:

Cooper's in Llano - road tripping through the Hill Country and will be stopping there next month.
Black's and Kreuz's in Lockhart
Sonny Bryan's in Dallas (the original store on Inwood)
Southside Market and Meyer's in Elgin for sausage
Stubb's in Austin
Iron Works and Salt Lick in Austin
Harold's and Joe Allen's in Abilene
Harlow's on the outskirts of Abilene is very interesting - only place I know where they smoke brisket over mesquite. At Joe Allen's they cook steaks over mesquite coals, but the pit master at Harlow's swears they smoke the brisket completely with mesquite.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:55 pm
DaHorns medium
medium

I will be stopping by either Kreuz's or City Market on my way down to Rockport this afternoon.......I always stop by on the way down. Has anyone been to Smitty's? I heard its owned by Kreuz's estranged sister, and is just as good if not better than Kreuz's. It's located in the old Kreuz's building just down the road from Kreuz's new location.

Hook 'Em

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:46 pm

One poster mentioned good Q in Temple. Would like to know where. Hope he isn't thinking Clem Mikeska's. Ate there once and it was dry and flavorless.

Has anyone tried the Cyclone Corral in Cyclone, TX? East on 53 (Adams Avenue) out of Temple. I haven't made it there, but would like to.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:21 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

DaHorns I've eaten at Smitty's a couple of times over the last few years. There is a lot of history in that building and the folks that run the place came over and talked with the group (QFest folks) I was with and shared much of their family story. (Don't ask me for details....I was eating :lol: )

Kreuz's is a new "clean" building with very similar style pits. Their food is good to but I prefer the "old" place for its atmosphere.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:38 pm
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

The best BBQ in Texas cannot be purchaced at one of these joints. To get the best you have to get an invite to some Texans house who knows how to make great BBQ. :wink: Those places in the list above are just one step up from Bill Millers. :P I cook better Q every weekend.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 am

Interesting you should mention that & you've got a very good point. I guess finding the best BBQ joint is helpful for those traveling to areas outside their local venue. For instance, If I'm in Austin and I have an itch for good Q, then it's good to know where the best joints are. However, I'm not going to drive to Austin JUST to eat barbecue.

A guy I work this and I are big BBQ aficianados. He's working with a Pitts-n-Spits rig handed down from his dad. I'm working with a Comalco Tall-Que. His Mesquite-smoked Q is "off the hook" (to quote Guy). But I'm having great fun learning how to get the most out of my vertical smoker and have had fine results using hickory (My family's preference).

When the dust (or wood chips) settle, it's all about eating great barbecue cooked by someone who really cares about what good barbecue should taste like, regardless of whether it's home-made or eat-out.

"The Bug" :)

This 4th of July weekend, there will definitely be smoke over my neighborhood, and it won't be from fireworks!

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint