Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion chipotle - any advice?

chipotle - any advice?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 31, 2004 3:05 pm
McSherry rare
rare

Hi, all-
Thank you to everyone for the great advice I have received so far. My smokin' pro is living up to its name...pork shoulder last weeknd and ribs/brisket next. :D

One question: any advice on throwing some jalepenos on there while smoking the ribs & brisket? I am thinking about making a chipotle dip or salsa to eat before dinner. Any great ideas out there on how to use them?

More importantly, how long should I plan to leave them on...and do I need to prep them or should I just throw them on?

thanks again for all the wisdom!
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Post Mon May 31, 2004 3:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

McSherry,
Welcome back! We have not heard from you in a while. Glad to hear about your success with the pork shoulder. If you want some info on chipotle, check out this thread:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... t=chipotle
Here is a picture of a pork shoulder I cooked last weekend:
Image[/quote]

Post Mon May 31, 2004 3:42 pm
Don Marco well done
well done

Hi there...

You can put the Jalapenos on there while smoking, but the end product will be far from a chipotle, its gonna be more like a roasted pepper.Still good eats anyway, so do it !

If you wanna make chipotles, you can try the procedure in the following link :

http://www.randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html

Its 3 or 4 pages of Info on how to make your own chipotles.Ive done it loast year with my home grown Jalapenos and Habaneros and it was a big success.

Don Marco

Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:16 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

After watching the BBQ U show that featured the hell fire steak I decided to make the grilled salsa and haven't looked back. I prepare all the vegetables before I put them on the grill so I can take them off and put them in the food processor. I grill to blister tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, jalepenos and fresh garlic. After they are chopped in the processor I use salt and lime juice to taste. I haven't tried smoking them but i am sure that will work also.
Weber Performer
Weber One Touch Silver
Oklahoma Joe's 20" Barrel Smoker aka "Betty"

Keep it Smokey

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:47 pm
McSherry rare
rare

Thank you all. This is great advice...and some really good recipes.

Don's site on the process of making chipotles is terrific.

thanks again!
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:46 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bill, I've made chiptole while smoking other meats and veggies. You'll want to make sure that they're on the top shelf as you are trying to dry them and don't want juices and mop sauces dripping on them. It's better to dry them seperately though. I was able to get them completely dried out and they ground into a dry powder in a food processor.

Return to General Discussion