Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Fresh Ham

BBQ Fresh Ham

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 30, 2004 9:49 pm

Within the last few weeks SuperBBQ-man (he is good too) grilled a Fresh Ham. Oh mercy did it look good. I attempted to wriet down all the items for it but as usual, my mouth watered so much I can't read all my writing.

He talked about garlic, salt, oregano, cuman I think (i wrote down human:), sage and you pound it together and into 2 tblspns of oil (this is 20lb fresh ham but I'm doing a 5 lb'r), orange juice and lime juice.

How much orange juice and lime juice in the merinaide?

Also, for a 20 lb fresh ham, they did 325degrees for 6 - 8 hours .... how long for a 5 lb fresh ham ; on the 20 lb'r it was 195 degree's .... that was (this is a question) that was at 195 degree's for 6 ot 8 hours or get to that temp in 6 ot 8 hours?

thanks

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:31 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

The only marinade that I can find is one by Paul Kirk in his "Championship Barbeque" cookbook. it is as follows:

2 cups fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano ( I used dried because it was all I had)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, then ground.
1 7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
4 cloves garlic pressed
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine the orange juice, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon oregano in a medium non reactive pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until reduced by half, 1 to 1 1/4 cups

Transfer to a blender, add the remaining ingredients, and process until smooth, If the sauce is too thick, thin it down with more vinegar.

I used this on a pork butt, early this week and it's a good marinade, most of the heat of the chipotle's cooks out, leaving a nice spicey flavor. It doesn't work well as an injection, I would just use it as a surface marinade.

I highly reccomend that you add Steves book "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" to your cooking arsenal. It's an invaluable tool when you want something that's a little more.

Also Paul Kirks book "ChampionShip Barbeque" has a wealth of information and some great and simple receipes.

That was get to an internal temp of 195 no matter how long it takes.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Return to General Discussion