Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint MEMPHIS!!!

MEMPHIS!!!

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:19 pm
ackch46

Am I the only one that thinks that Memphis has the best BBQ? Besides BBQ Fest every May we have tons of family owned hole-in-the-wall restaurants that serve great ribs, sandwiches, etc. and I don't mean corky's, they're a 4 out of 10 compared to some of the rest in Memphis and surrounding areas!

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:58 pm
Jakester

I agree, Memphis is one of the best places to go for BBQ. I usually go to Piggy's on Beale Street.

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:26 pm
jbosh

I recently had ribs that were shipped to NY from Rendezvous BBQ in Memphis and they were outstanding. I'm going to order some more soon. I know that place isn't exactly obscure but it rocks.

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:27 pm
matthewhickey medium-well
medium-well

If youre ever in Memphis, go to Silky O'Sullivans, they got some pretty good ribs.
GO BIG BLUE

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:09 pm
MemphisMike medium
medium

Central BBQ!!!
Weber Kettle 22 1/2
CharBroil 3 burner w/ side
New Braunfel w/ sfb
10 ft. Competition Rig - "The Beast"
La Caja China

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 pm
Randy raw
raw

Went to Memphis last month. Memphis BBQ gets my vote. Ate ribs at 5 different places during my 4 day visit. The Rendezvous rated 4th out of 5 to me, highly overrated unless I just caught them on a bad night. The best I had was at BBKings Blues Club on Beale St. They serve a dry rubbed rib with dipping sauce on the side. Thought my tongue was gonna beat my brain to death.

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:43 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Randy! :D

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:09 pm
Griese61 raw
raw

I went to Memphis last year sometime in the fall. Went down to Beale street at BBQ at BB King's place. it was really good. Especially since I like a dry rub rib. So, being from around KC that kind of stinks, but I will survive. :lol: I am entirely into BBQ, when I came home I told my wife that we needed to go back to Memphis so I could show her Beale street. She said asked why I said they had 3 out of the 4 requried B's. They had Beer, BBQ, and Blues, and that was all I needed. She asked what the third B would be and I said if she came along then what she brought with her would be the 4th B and I would be in heaven. Sorry if that offended anyone but that is how I feel about it.

Griese61

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:46 pm

No doubt about it, you have not experienced barbecue until you have spent the entire weekend visiting, smelling, talking and tasting BBQ in Tom Lee Park beside the river during Memphis in May! It is the best.
Memphis BBQ is heaven on earth

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board riverboatbob! :D

June is a sad time of year for me 'cause it reminds me that I've missed yet anouther MIM. :cry: Maybe some year. :)

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:45 pm

I travelled into Memphis for 25 years. Does anyplace there have bad bbq? Never found it if they did. Some better than others, but none bad.

For something off the subject, try Pancho's Mexican restaurant. They have a cheese dip that I'll admit (ashamedly) that I would eat a pint of (with corn chips) in a weekend.

Hmmm.....wonder if that has anything with me having high blood pressure today.... :lol: :lol:

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 pm
jimneva rare
rare

Being an Army brat, I have lived in Memphis off and on my whole life, and continuously since 1987. I have fond memories of Coleman's Real Pit Barbecue at Yale and Raleigh Millington. Unfortunately, I think the closest Coleman's is now in Hernando, MS.

Now Tops BBQ is tops for a good BBQ sandwich, with Pig n Whistle a close second with their Idaho Pig(baked potato topped with pulled pork, BBQ sauce and cheese). Brad's has awesome smoked turkey sandwiches. Corky's is great as long as it is the original Poplar Ave. location. The one in Germantown pales in comparison. There is a new one in Collierville that I understand is excellent, but I have not tried it yet.

If you want good BBQ, Memphis is definitely the place. BBQ joints almost outnumber churches. Some might be better than others depending on one's taste, but there isn't a bad one in the area.

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Location: Currently Summit, MS (but originally Memphis, Tenn)
Being a native Memphian, I may be predjudiced on this subject, but to me Memphis, hands down, is the capital of the BBQ. The best BBQ is made in Memphis. I love Corky's and one very obscure BBQ joint called A & R. They have a fairly new (maybe two-year-old) location on Stage Road in Bartlett. The BBQ sandwiches, neccessarily with slaw as a topping, are not to be beaten.

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:41 pm
jimneva rare
rare

VolunteerBBQ wrote:
Being a native Memphian, I may be predjudiced on this subject, but to me Memphis, hands down, is the capital of the BBQ. The best BBQ is made in Memphis. I love Corky's and one very obscure BBQ joint called A & R. They have a fairly new (maybe two-year-old) location on Stage Road in Bartlett. The BBQ sandwiches, neccessarily with slaw as a topping, are not to be beaten.

I have had BBQ from that location a couple of times. I was pretty impressed. However, I am partial to Gridley's at Stage and Summer, and the various Tops. I love the dry ribs from the original Corky's.

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 pm
Ty raw
raw

I lived in Memphis for 6 years and currently reside in Dallas-Fort Worth. Don't tell my Texas friends but, Memphis BBQ is the best. My favorite place was Showboat on Hickory Hill although I think I sampled most of the places mentioned above (I have the waistline to prove it) and never had "bad" barbeque.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint