Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hints on grilling chuck roasts

Hints on grilling chuck roasts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:37 pm
Jackalope well done
well done

Ok, folks,
this is my first post on ANY forum - but being a huge BBQ nut up here in Chicagoland, I know someone out there might give me a few tips. Been grilling for 20 years, but am trying my first biggie - a 3.5 pound chuck roast, rather on the lean side, now just marinating in some beer and pepper, a little pickle juice, and plenty of herbs. Would like to try searing first, and a tinfoil roasting pan to place in later, cover with vidalias and potatoes, and cook on indirect heat on my 22.5" Weber kettle, all under foil and kettle cover. By the way, the kettle, after almost 30 years itself, is still standing strong. Rain or snow! But seriously, any tips on cooking? Turn or no? 2 hours or less? And would anyone suggest a great rub?

Post Fri May 28, 2004 12:50 am
hotchef well done
well done

In a thread recently, this cut of beef was discussed (believe it was called "Beef for Shredded Beef" or something like that). It was said there that the meat needed to get to about 195 degrees for it to be truly tender. I did a chuck roast a few days ago and while it did not turn out perfectly, I did learn a few things that might help:

1. This is a very tough cut of meat. It must be cooked VERY slowly and with plenty of moisture. In contrast to this, however, it seems to soak up flavors (mops, wood smoke, rub) very easily so keep this in mind. I only had smoke on mine for 3 hours and it had a 1/2 inch smoke ring. I wrapped it in aluminum foil with a 1/2 cup of mop after that. (Mop was butter, vinegar, whole lemon, jalapeno, cajun rub.)

2. I cooked mine at an average temp. of 235 degrees for 7 1/2 hours and it only got to 178 degrees. It was sliceable and very tasty, but not barbecue tender.

3. As far as indirect grilling goes, not sure for the cook time. I believe I could've gotten my roast to 195 in about 10 hours (Mine was 2.6 pounds) at my lower temp, but with your higher one (about 350 I'm assuming) it will probably still take 4-6 hours to get to a higher enough temperature for it to be tender.

4. And the best advice I got came from BBcueZ when he said that chuck roast is very hard to cook and to cook well so be patient and learn as you go. Hope it turns out well for you![/url]

Post Fri May 28, 2004 1:09 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I love doing roast beef with a vineagar mop sauce. Also, I have 2 gadgets that I feel are worth their weight in gold. The Polder thermometer and the Jaccard meat tenderizer.
Search the thread for "polder" and "Jaccard". You'll find out more.

Save a few slices for me.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 7:27 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I too got my info from Z on the thread above. It may be "Roast Beef for Pulled Beef" though but between Hotchef and me one of us should get you close. Use the search and you'll find it. Hotchef is right on with everything he said so I won't repeat it. I too used a Jaccard on mine, but if you don't have one yet you should at least tenderize it in some way. Pound on it if you need to. It will help alot. The focus of this cut is low and slow, theres a reason that it is most commonly braised in the oven. So my concern is that by upping the heat like you talk about you may get tougher results.
Look to Z's recipe for some more tips.
Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

PS welcome to the board, stick around and enjoy the insanity.
This is the only board I post to as well.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:07 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Jackie! I've got some family that live up in your area.

When the guys tell you to look to Z's recipes, there's not much more to add. I've done a few of them and they are great! (Plus I haven't done a chuck roast on the grill yet. But I will)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Take pictures if you can!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:05 am
Jackalope well done
well done

Thanks, guys! Keep the suggestions coming. I now have a whole host of ideas, and believe me, that mop will be on the ready. My guest's mouths will be watering come Sunday. Time to hurry up and wait - over a cool drink and some nice afternoon sunshine.

I'll let you know how things turn out!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:26 am
Chicago SP rare
rare

Good to see another Chi-towner here!

Happy grilling!

Chicago SP

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:19 am
BigDaddy medium
medium

I took the recomendation on buying the Jaccard meat tenderizer... Wow... It does a great job. I would Highly recomend anyone who is doing roasts (I do Tri-Tip alot) to get a Jaccard Meat Tenderizer.
Last edited by BigDaddy on Fri May 28, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:11 pm
messickzr rare
rare

Here's a link to the discussion on Pulled Roast Beef

Post Sun May 30, 2004 11:43 am

Thanks again, guys! The chuck turned out great; low and slow was obviously the key. After a nice cracked pepper, garlic and sage rub, I gently covered it in a can of beer , in a small tin roaster with foil over it, and five hours later, voila......it litetrally fell apart. I probably noshed on two pounds right after. Now for the leftovers, it's time for BBQ beef quesadillas!

Next challenge, baby back ribs....

Happy Memorial day and keep it Cue-ing!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 3:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well all this talk, I had to pull acouple of Chuck Roasts of of the deep freeze and will be cooking them tomorrow :wink: I blame all ya'll...Thanks! :D

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:05 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Bob,
Give my recipe a try on one of those chuck roasts (under Pulled Beef) you won’t be disappointed. You don’t have to use the Chili sauce on it if you want something quick.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:27 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, got the printout of your recipe "in hand" :wink:

Return to General Discussion