Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Getting food not to stick on a HOT grate

Getting food not to stick on a HOT grate

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:19 pm
waterman raw
raw

Being a faithful watcher of steves show, i know about how he oils the grate befor he puts on the food. I have pretty good luck useing a paper towel soaked in oil on a med heat gtate but when i need really high heat for things like say Tandoorie (sp?) chicken {if you havent tried, you must} the oil just bursts into flames on the stainless grates and flavorizor bars, and burns away in an instant.
What am i doing wrong guys???? Thanks

Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:38 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Waterman,

I usually oil my grate before I light the fire. That seems to help some. Also with my Weber, I rotate the grate so the side that was over the cooler part of the fire during the last cooking session, and usually oily is over the hot part of the fire for the current session. Also, as preached in many grilling books, don't mess with your grilled meat for at least 2 to 3 minutes after you put it on the grate. Once meats sear they will unstick naturally. I used to make this mistake all the time, and still find it hard not to touch the thing for a few minutes.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 12:16 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Try this:

I dip the onion in oil and use it to lubricate the grill grates. This not only lubricates the grates, but it also seasons them and gives the meat a subtle onion flavor. It beats the paper towel. This method works best when the grates are nice and hot.
I can’t wait to try Tandoori style chicken. I’m thinking of getting a Kamado cooker before I try it though. Those things can reach a temp in the neighbor hood of 800 degrees. Another way you could do this by not using grates at all. Put the chicken on skewers and suspend them with 2 bricks above the fire (or above the grate).

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:24 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I think this onion tip is probably the best I've gotten since I've been here and indeed beats the paper towel method. Great tip Z.

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:39 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Airfoil.
I feel honored by your comment. :oops:

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:48 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Z -- That is a great idea!! It looks like you have some sort of chain on the onion in the picture. What is it?

Post Sun May 30, 2004 7:01 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

ThrRoff,
There is no chain; it’s just a digital artifact. I was trying to shrink the picture so it wouldn’t take so much space.

Return to General Discussion