Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Gas Grill Smoking Question

Gas Grill Smoking Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 pm

I know that some folks say smoking on a gas grill isn't "correct," but I am going to try it. I bought a Char-Broil three burner from Lowes ($269). If I turn on the left burner, leave the middle and right burner one off (meat on right burner), and put the woodchip box/can over the heat, is this what I am supposed to do?

I am thinking that I can keep the left burner on enough to keep the temperature at 225? (can't remember the correct temp), but wasn't sure if I could put the meat way on the other side of the grill. It's not that far, but just didn't know if the temperature gauge was accurate for all parts of the grill. It might be crazy. I don't know how long the propane gas will last.

Any constructive advice is appreciated. Please, though beggars for information can't be choosers, don't tell me I need a refund and get a Weber or a Charcoal grill. I might learn this the hard way, but this is what I have right now, and I want to do my best to make it work. Thanks.

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:43 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Sounds to me like you've got it down pat. One burner will be fine for cooking. If your in doubt of your internal temp, buy an oven thermometer from Lowes. But if your'e running 225 on your lid thermometer, your'e temps on the grate are going to be higher anyway. If your'e not satisfied with your smoke flavor and you've got two grates, you can put your smoker box under the grate without disturbing the food on the other side.

Post Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:46 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A gasser with a single burner on low will run near forever.

The temp maintained depends on outside influences.
Temp, wind rain, etc.

Yes, this is the way you want to set up you grill.

Do a quick dry run first.

Pre heat grill. L. burner on high other 2 on med. for 25 min.
Turn off 2 right burners and turn L. burner to low.
Place a standard oven therm on the spot the meat will sit and wait
20 minutes. Read the temp. adjust up if needed.

Do again reversing the burner settings.
One side is closer to the fuel source than the other and it just might make a difference.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:49 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Another tip when smoking on a gas grill is to keep the lit burner up-wind. A gas grill is well ventilated and if the burner is down-wind the wind will blow the heat and smoke away from the meat, up-wind will allow the breeze to work for you and draft the heat & smoke over the food.

Return to General Discussion