Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Flank Steak Marinade

Flank Steak Marinade

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 11:46 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

As requested by Mr. Airfoils here is the recipe for the flank steak marinade I use. It is excellent when doing a whole flank steak or making the sates. However, if you are making the sates I would suggest you slice the steak then marinate.

2/3 cup olive or vegetable oil ( Iprefer olive oil)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tabelspoons cider or red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablesponn Dijon mustardour
1 teaspoon dries basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

In a large resealable bag or non-reactive bowl mix all ingredients. I usually use a large Ziploc bag then add the flank steak, seal it, then let it marinate for 8 - 24 hours.
Grill your steak how you like it.
Enjoy!! :D

RichD

Post Tue May 11, 2004 9:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Can't pass up a great mixture like that! Thanks for sharing RichD. I've added this to my book.

Post Tue May 11, 2004 10:47 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I have a pretty good idea what that will taste like given the portions and ingredients. I'll give it a shot this weekend, sounds good! :) Thanks for posting it.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 1:29 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Getting to this a little later then I planned but its on deck for this weekend.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 1:55 pm

I've used a similar maranade, minus only the worcestershire sauce, and garlic infused olive oil was a must for me. Deee-lish! One variation I loved - try subbing the lime for the lemon, adding some chopped cilantro, and a tad bit grated ginger. Yum! Proved a great little kick for the tongue.

Jackie

Post Fri May 28, 2004 3:32 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Man, that's a beauty! I've used a similar marinade, but added lots of chopped garlic, , chopped onion, some sesame oil and a little oyster sauce. Gives it an interesting twist.

sp

Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:12 pm
Yankee Bill medium
medium

RichD,

That one sound's like a keeper for sure. Here is one of my favorite's for London Broil / Flank steak :

1-1/2 lb. steak

5 lg. cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
( I usually add a tablespoon or 2 of olive for fat )

Blend or process all marinade ingredient's until smooth, marinate in ziplock bag for 8 - 24 hrs. and toss on the grill :lol: Happy Grillin'. YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:20 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I've added pepper and fresh garlic to the posted recipe. bout 1/2 teaspoon frshly ground black pepper and 3-4 crushed cloves of garlic. Will have it marinate till tomrrow afternoon.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 6:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You guys have to try Steven’s Three-Herbs Chimichurri sauce with flank steak (HTG p# 457). You can use any three herbs you like. For variation, I sometimes use lemon juice instead of vinegar and oregano, basil and parsley for herbs. Marinate the steak in it, and then top it off with the sauce after slicing. I tell the stuff is out of this world (yes, it’s that good). Give it a chance you won’t be disappointed.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:29 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

IMHO, flank steak and its cousin, a skirt stake, is a cut of meat that does not need a marinade. I (we) like the really beefy taste from grilling it seasoned only with salt and pepper. Tonight I did a skirt steak with a parsley and garlic chimichurri and it was fantastic. Well, mostly fantastic. I did it over the Baby Q and missed the smokey charred taste of charcoal. Sorry Grand.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 1:13 am
Airfoils well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
IMHO, flank steak and its cousin, a skirt stake, is a cut of meat that does not need a marinade. I (we) like the really beefy taste from grilling it seasoned only with salt and pepper. Tonight I did a skirt steak with a parsley and garlic chimichurri and it was fantastic. Well, mostly fantastic. I did it over the Baby Q and missed the smokey charred taste of charcoal. Sorry Grand.

Yeah I love skirt steak but the place we got it from just recently stopped getting it so I have to find it somewhere else now. I use mine with a fajita rub usually. ANyway, it was an excuse for me to get some flank. :wink:

Post Sat May 29, 2004 1:24 am
Yankee Bill medium
medium

I'm a lover of these cut's of meat as well. You guy's remember when they were considered
" less desirable " cut's, before they came into vogue, and were about the same price per lb. as cheap hamburg? Wish they still were :cry: YB2
I'll eat anything that won't eat me first !!!

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:19 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I forgot to reply but I went ahead and made this over the weekend and it was quite good. I added some pepper and garlic as I said and roasted some peppers and onion to go with the rice and steak.

Return to General Discussion