Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Shameless Plug

Shameless Plug

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok I hate to do this but I just can't help myself. hey its for a good cause at least.

I know its not BBQ but its still a topic near and dear to many of us. CHILI!

This upcoming Saturday (May 29th) starting at 12:00 to 8:00 PM is the The York Jaycee's 16th annual CHILI COOKOFF. It's held at the York Fairgrounds, in York, PA. Just a few minutes from Rt 30 and I 83. Tickets are $5 in advance or $6 at the gate. Purchase your advance discount tickets by emailing keyproject@yorkjaycees.com or by calling 717-767-9111. (Tell them you're for Team Hot Stuff) Children under 12 are free Paid ticket holders receive 2 free chili sample tickets at the gate Additional Sample tickets are sold as well Gates open at noon Awards announcement at 4:00 p.m. Entertainment will go until 8:00 p.m. This year's entertainment includes UUU, Greg Naylor & Friends, and Kenton & Vito. All great bands! Chili available while supplies last!
This will be my second year participating in the event. And it is alot of fun. The Jaycees are a local clearinghouse if you will for charitable donations. All proceedes from the event go to the charity of each teams choice. My charity will again be the American Cancer Society. Last year my team placed fourth ("prize money" is an additional donation to your charity) and we raised almost $1000.
The event is also sponsored by Bud Light so there will be beer and sodas and other food and some games for kids as well as the bands playing throughout the day.

So if you're looking for something to do this Saturday and you're in the area, stop by and check it out. It really is a fun day.

I appologize for the shameless plug.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:10 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

So GS are you on Team Hot Stuff?

I won't be in the area, but it sure sounds like a great time. We Texans love our chili!

Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I AM Team Hot Stuff. As well as Team Hot Stuff Too this year.
Participating started out a a fun thing to do on a lark (Plus yours truely liked the idea of making 15 Gallons of Chili). And now its turned into a great fun day and a good way to raise some money for charity. I encourage anybody who can attend to do so.

My team consists of several friends who all like hot food. Last year my chili was HOT. I think it was by far the crowd favorite but was too hot for the judges so we got fourth, but still not hot enough for the hottest (they only give 1 place here). So this year I'm backing the heat down on 1 batch and making a second, and that sucker is going to be HOT HOT HOT. This year there are 38+ Teams signed up.

There are some pictures of previous events here http://www.yorkjaycees.com/photos/2003Chili/default.asp

If you look you might just even see yours truely in there somewhere, not that you know who to look for, but you can guess.

To steal a phrase from one of the board guys: My Drinking Team has a Chili Problem.

Post Mon May 24, 2004 11:13 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You're right GS...I couldn't find you in any of those pictures...turned out it was Marsha!!! :lol:

Good luck with the judges!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 8:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

No Bob, I'm not Marsha, That's Team Hillbilly Chili. They're alot of fun, they make a white chili that is really good.
Anyway since we're talking about putting a face with the name in another thread I thuoght I'd give a better hint.
My day job is in the construction industry. The highway industry to be exact. Now see if you can guess...

And again to anyone in the area, check out the York Jaycee's Chili Cookoff tomorrow, it's a great day!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

With a yellow hat and a cigar??????? :wink:

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:59 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes sir that nut is me...

Well just to update everyone this years cookoff went great! I placed 3rd (up from 4th last year) in the business category, and won best stand design in my category too.

I made over 18 gallons of Chili!

1 batch was just great, this was the 3rd place. and the other was HOT, but still had great flavor.
You'll all be plaeased to know that everyone was wow'd by the smokey flavor of my chili. This was due to smoking all the meat and peppers using by ne chargriller!

I also used it to make lunch for my team (you can only eat so much chili) of 15 Sweet Italian Sausages.

Overall a great day!
And we raised a bunch of money for our Charity the American Cancer Society!

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:58 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Sounds like a great time and a great day! Now I have to put sweet italian sausages on my list! I'm hungry!

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Way to go G.S., movin' up a notch in the finals. Great chili for a great cause. :D

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:49 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

G.S.,
It sounds like you had a great time. And third place, that’s very good. You can never have too much chili, especially when it’s made with smoked meat. If you have any excess, send it my way. :)

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:12 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Man if I thought it would ship, I would send some your way in a heartbeat. I have a TON of leftovers. Leftovers are good but part the fun of chili is making it, and I have so much left I won't be making chili until next years cookoff!!

Return to General Discussion