Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken

Chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 27, 2004 8:52 pm
miltguy rare
rare

On saturday I will be doing some chicken on the grill. I don't think a BCC will fit in my grill. So here's my question, do I mop and/or brine the halves and does anyone have any suggestions for the mop and/or brine. thanks to all

Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:26 pm
ryno23 medium-rare
medium-rare

I just made the Brazilian Beer Chicken today pg 247 of the Barbecue Bible and it was great. i highly suggest this one it has great taste, the only thing is I marinated the chicken for 2 days. Hope this helps

Post Thu May 27, 2004 10:29 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Miltguy,

I think half chickens can be grilled any number of ways and still come out great. Putting then in a brine of salt water, diced onions, juniper berries or pickling spices would work. But only brine for a couple of hours. A good old red BBQ rub is always great. Mopped with apple cider (or sprayed), or lemon juice, or beer and spices is always good. The trick is not to dry out the breast meat so make sure you have at least a two level fire so you can move the chicken to a cooler spot. Steven’s “How to Grill” has some good tips for grilling half chickens.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:49 am
DarkRubiTJ medium-well
medium-well

Try a butterflied chicken. You can keep the bird in one piece that way, and to me it's easier to handle. that way. I'd try a soy sauce based marinade or a citrus based one. If I'm lazy I always keep a jug or two of Itallian dressing in the pantry and I'll throw it in that for a couple of hours. Chicken really picks up flavor from a marinade and I like my chicken spicy.
Weber "Q", Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Bar-B-Kettle

Post Fri May 28, 2004 7:19 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Milt - two of my favorites are posted here somewhere. The first is a baste or spray consisting of equal parts butter and vinegar with garlic salt to taste. This gets a great buttery crispy skin to it. This is discussed in some detail in the "Standard Chicken with a Flair" Thread. I've even kicked this up be using a red rub first. My other favorite is a brine from Emeril (Sorry Steve) I've posted it here before do a search for either Emeril, or Funky Bird or Brine. You should find it. DarkrubiTJ you should check this out too. It can be sweetend of spicy to taste and is really good. I've done everything from boneless skinless breasts to partridges, to a whole turkey this way. All turned out great.
Good Luck

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:25 pm
miltguy rare
rare

thanks everyone. I made the chicken on Sunday but I uded bone-inbreasts and thigh quarters. We had them with Airfoils chili and baked potatoes. I didn't have as much chacoal as I thoght so I only did the chicken on the grill. The mop I used was 2 cups cider vinegar, 1 cup mustard, salt, pepper, hotsauce,etc to taste. I used some basic BBQ rub first and cooked the chicken about 2 hours with some hickory. THat and the chili came out great.

Return to General Discussion