Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Did not do well on the St. Louis Ribs

Did not do well on the St. Louis Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:15 am
chagan well done
well done

I don't know what could have possible gone wrong here as there are only 3 ingredients. 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part salt, 1/2 part pepper. I combined the ingredience, coated the ribs, let sit in the fridge for 4 hours, and removed the excess rub before transfering to the grill. After cooking I found the ribs to consist of a flavor of concentrated salt/pepper. I had to toss them out. Very sad. I did make the Dr. Pepper bbq sauce to go along with, and that came out very good. I don't know what to make of this, other than maybe one should wash the ribs off before barbecueing. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this one? Does anyone see something obvious that I may have done wrong? I made another batch last night starting with an even coat of mustard, followed by a nice rub of brown sugar, paprika, garlic, etc. Through them right on the grill and they were outstanding. I think that I will stick to that recipe for ribs.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:06 am
dkirn well done
well done

Chagan -

The only thing that I would recommend is to use a rub that has more spices in it. With just the three ingredients you will get some overpowering flavors on the ribs. The latest ribs that you made is a better way. That is the way that I make my ribs and they turn out perfect every time. The only thing that I do differently is to let the ribs sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours with the mustard and rub that seems to really help the spices go all the way through the ribs!

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:37 am
chagan well done
well done

Thanks dkirn, I was trying out the featured recipe on the site, and that is how it was suppose to be done. I will try the 24 hour method next time with the mustard recipe. Thanks for the input.

Chris

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:47 pm

We had the same experience last weekend with this recipe. I measured EXACTLY, and the ribs came out tasting incredibly salty - ugh!! very disappointing, I must say.

I like this website; I like the TV show; but so far the recipes are not impressive.

Can anyone recommend any of the recipes on this site as being tried and true?

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:36 pm
big daddy

We had the salty ribs from this recipe too. Stay away from it is all I can say.

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:39 am
chagan well done
well done

Try the Buffa Q wings, they are incredible. Use a nice chipotle hot sauce for a nice smoke flavor. I found the Tobasco version to be quite acceptable, there are other brands native to the southwest that have been made for some time now like Bufalo and the like.

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:10 pm
BigBadMN

Try the Memphis Ribs from the BBQ bibe. I've made them 4 times in the past year and each time they were impeccable. (Sidenote: the Memphis Rub is also outstanding on pork chops)

As for the St,Louis Ribs, I haven't tried them so can't speak from experience. I theorize it could have something to do with using Course Salt vs regular salt. Maybe Steven will chime in and provide a solution.

Happy Grilling
Big Bad

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:22 pm
Jerry

I had the same experience with the salty-peppery ribs as well. I felt like I wrecked the whole rack. Extremely disappointing. I've stuck with Steve's basic BBQ rub in the past and have been very happy.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:21 pm

Same story - too salty! I'm trying the Memphis rub next.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:05 am
Longmill

BigBadMN wrote:
As for the St,Louis Ribs, I haven't tried them so can't speak from experience. I theorize it could have something to do with using Course Salt vs regular salt. Maybe Steven will chime in and provide a solution.

I haven't tried these either, but suspect that you've identified the problem. If kosher salt is substituted with regular salt in the same proportions it would result in too much salt. If memory serves, 1 cup of kosher or sea salt equals about 3/4 cup of regular salt.

And, with this recipe, I wouldn't hold ribs very long before cooking. And I wouldn't put on a thick coating of the rub mixture. That may be the source of having too much pepper.

Just some thoughts....

Longmill

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:22 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks Longmill, but the ingredients were as follows:

Ingredients:
4 racks baby back pork ribs (6 to 8 pounds total)
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce, for serving

As you can see, I followed the instructions as stated. Perhaps this is the way they like it in St. Louis?? Anyway, there can always be something learned from mistakes. Thanks for the input.

Chris

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:23 pm
chagan well done
well done

Correction: I did use 1/4 cup of pepper, not 1/2 cup as stated in the beginning of the post.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:08 pm
stl-rich rare
rare

In St. Louis we don't do ribs that much - we do PORK STEAKS - when we do eat ribs, they are doused with a sweet/spicy sauce (Maull's)

Take a look at what Stephan says in BBQ USA.

stl-rich

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:17 pm
team Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry for the confusion folks. We made a few corrections to the St. Louis Ribs recipe. Give it another go and it should turn out much better.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:46 pm
bebopper

In response to STL-RICH .. I found myself in St. Louis last year and was APPALLED that I could not find St. Louis ribs ANYWHERE (until of course I wolfed down some beer-grilled brats in the park, and AWESOME pork steaks..) After researching, I realized St. Louis ribs were a CUT instead of a style.

Then the Cards lost two in a row and I went home before trying any of the Italian on the hill .... Classy town, St. Louis ... Well-behaved people, big-ass Arch, muddy old river and Miles Davis to boot.

Next

Return to General Discussion